Thoughts for Thursday (23) - The Black Sheep

Welcome to Thoughts for Thursday! This feature is our outlet to talk with you about whatever we currently have on our minds. It might be bookish, it might not! Now for this week's thought:

The Black Sheep

Ah, to be a black sheep - the one who hates a book when so many others seem to love it. It is not a role that I typically occupy – but it has been happening more and more of late. I am not sure why that is – maybe I am becoming a critical old bat or had a string of bad luck choosing books - but regardless of the reason, I come to you today to tell you simply that I HATE being a black sheep.

When I see others love a book, I want to love that book too. I want to feel those same feels and rejoice in that book’s amazingness too. So when I don’t and can’t, it saddens me like you wouldn’t believe. Sure, the black sheep club can be close-knit and fun. Our small numbers band together and bond over our mutual dislike. But I’d rather be totally smitten and fangirling with the majority. I don’t WANT to dislike any books.

I also feel a sense of puzzlement when I don’t like a book that everyone seems to love, because I DON’T think I am that critical of a reader nor have I any strong predispositions, I think. I understand that everyone has a different experience while reading and I get why opinions vary but it’s still a little discomforting when you are an odd man out.  Why was my experience so different than so many others?

Some recent examples of my black sheep-ness are Hopeless by Colleen Hoover and Sekret by Lindsay Smith. But a book that still troubles me is The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson. Now I am not exactly a black sheep on this one because I did still like it somewhat, but I did not love it., not even a little bit. But I want to love it so much! I want to have the desire to pick up the second book so that I can swoon over Hector too. I want to feel the magic and be in awe of this series that everyone is always talking about. But alas, I do not feel this way. Sadness.

Share your thoughts! Are you ever a black sheep? Do you mind it? Do you wonder why your feelings differ from the majority? 

divider
Copyright © 2014 The Quiet Concert
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs