Silver in the Blood by Jessica Day George

Title: Silver in the Blood
Author: Jessica Day George
Series: Silver in the Blood #1
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Childrens
Release Date: July 7, 2015
Source: ARC provided by Publisher in exchange or an honest review (thanks Bloomsbury!!)

Summary from Goodreads:
Society girls from New York City circa 1890, Dacia and Lou never desired to know more about their lineage, instead preferring to gossip about the mysterious Romanian family that they barely knew. But upon turning seventeen, the girls must return to their homeland to meet their relatives, find proper husbands, and—most terrifyingly—learn the deep family secrets of The Claw, The Wing, and The Smoke. The Florescus, after all, are shape-shifters, and it is time for Dacia and Lou to fulfill the prophecy that demands their acceptance of this fate . . . or fight against this cruel inheritance with all their might.

With a gorgeous Romanian setting, stunning Parisian gowns, and dark brooding young men, readers will be swept up by this epic adventure of two girls in a battle for their lives.


Review

Well, as you can tell by my rating, this wasn't really my kind of book.

For starters, it took roughly 170 pages before Dacia and Lou discover their power and the story to even really start. I can't really tell you what filled those 170 pages except uneventful travels, thinly veiled hints, and the musings of two extremely un-curious society girls. Oh, and lovesick boys kept popping out of the woodwork. After they did find out they were shape shifters, Dacia and Lou switched personalities. Dacia, who always put on a brave face and challenged the world, was suddenly drowning is self-loathing to the point of catatonia. And Lou, who was always quiet and meek, was suddenly taking charge and ordering people about. I am all for characters growing and changing, but not so abruptly. And they didn't embrace their powers at first but instead ran from them. This, I was OK with, I only mention it because it led to more inaction. By the time things did finally get going (in the last 75 pages or so), I was unfortunately already exhausted beyond the point of caring. But I can recognize that it was a good ending.

I think Silver in the Blood would be better suited for readers who are able to connect with Dacia or Lou, although they don't have much depth yet. Or for readers who don't mind a slow start to a series. I do think the world and premise hold a lot of promise, it's just that the things that didn't work for me overshadowed that. That being said, I might give the sequel a shot if I hear really good things. But  sadly this book did not pull me in and was not suited to my interests (though that cover is GORGEOUS). I'll leave it at that.

divider
Copyright © 2014 The Quiet Concert
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs