Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

Title: Me Before You
Author: Jojo Moyes
Publisher: Pamela Dorman Books/Viking
Release Date: December 31st 2012

Summary from Goodreads:
Lou Clark knows lots of things. She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in The Buttered Bun tea shop and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick.

What Lou doesn't know is she's about to lose her job or that knowing what's coming is what keeps her sane.

Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now and he knows exactly how he's going to put a stop to that.

What Will doesn't know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of colour. And neither of them knows they're going to change the other for all time.

Review

I kept seeing how excited everyone was when the Me Before You trailer came out and once I watched it, I was intrigued.    I know that Jojo Moyes is a favorite author for many so I decided to try out the audio book for Me Before You.  The narrators did a wonderful job, the multiple point of views were done by multiple narrators. I highly recommend the audio book, the voices suited the characters.

The premise is a heavy one yet I was laughing and smiling through a majority of the book.  I loved Lou, I thought her personality and charisma were honest and refreshing.  Her view of the world was a tad naive but it good way, as it allowed Will to truly make an impact on her outlook on life.   Their unusual work situation made for an evolving and unique relationship.  While I personally have not quite been in a situation like Lou, her story and the life lessons she faced had me reflecting on my own experiences.

Me Before You handles a tricky situation with honesty and fantastic writing.  My only reservation was that going into the book, I had heard that it makes readers cry.  I was preparing myself the whole time and I do believe that hype distracted me a bit.  I can see why the author ended it the way she did bit I also feel like the ending shy-ed away from super tough/emotional scenes.  Aside from that I loved the varying point of views, the cast of characters, and the emotionally compelling plot.

divider
Copyright © 2014 The Quiet Concert
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs