Top Ten Tuesday (15) - April 23rd


                           


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week's Top Ten list is "Top Ten Books I Thought I'd Like MORE/LESS Than I Did"



More - Dualed (Dualed #1) by Elsie Chapman
I was pretty disappointed in Dualed. Disappointed in the main character, the world building, the action. I thought I'd be able to overlook some of the flaws other readers struggled with but they were too big to ignore.

Less - Slated  (Slated #1) by Teri Terry
I was never anticipated how much I would like Slated. It's not a high action book but it's full of such raw emotion and steady undertone of anticipation. I was surprised by how much this book made me feel.

More - Then You Were Gone by Lauren Strasnick
I think this might have been the first contemporary book I've read that I straight up didn't like.  I was really turned off by the behavior of the main character and I thought there were a lot of poor messages. The only reason I finished it was because it was such a short book and I really hate not finishing books.

Less - Marking Time (The Immortal Descendants #1) by April White
I thought I'd like this book when I picked it up but I was still pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. It definitely exceeded my expectations and the time travel aspect was really well done.

More - Level 2 (The Memory Chronicles #1) by Lenore Appelhans
I had a lot of problems with the world-building in Level 2. The entire setting felt contradictory and immature and it ruined my entire reading experience. 

More: Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
I knew this one was a stretch for me but I read so many awesome review about it.  It was not a bad book by any means, it just was not for me.

Less: Mind Games by Kiersten White
While I thought Paranormalcy wasn't bad it was not one of my favorite reads so I was hesitant  about Mind Games.  But I was immediately drawn into the assassin life and powers of the two sisters.

Less: The Ruining by Anna Collomore
Contemporary Thrillers are not typically my thing either but Nicole won this from Goodreads so I figured I would try it out.  I LOVED it, the whole creepiness and realness of it was great.

More: The Madness Underneath by Maureen Johnson
I really enjoyed The Name of The Star.  I thought the London setting, the jack the ripper aspects and the Shades of London were awesome but the sequel did not live up to it.  The plot just seemed to fall flat with lots of predictability. 

More: Across the Universe by Beth Revis
I am a sucker for Dystopians and one that are set in space, I was like YES please.  But I was not a huge fan of the protagonist, she was just way too whiny.  Some of the parts of the plot seemed unnecessary as well.



divider

31 comments:

  1. This is such an awesome list, though I have to admit that I've read very few of the books that are actually on it...oops.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guess that answers my wavering over Dualed and Level 2, thanks. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yeah I didn't think they were anything special! Too many other good books out there to prioritize! :)

      Delete
  3. Thumbs up for Slated!! I loved that book. I just read The Program which was so similar it made me angry. I am interested to see if that will affect the way you feel about it if you end up reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really happy you said something because I've been seeing really good reviews for The Program and I probably would have picked it up with high expectations so thanks for saving me!

      Delete
  4. Now I've heard enough negative things about Dauled that I won't read it. Also I haven't heard much about Slated, but the few things I have are just praise. I;m going to need to read that soon :D.
    Old follower
    my TTT
    http://kimberlysnovelnotes.blogspot.com/2013/04/top-ten-tuesday-18.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES do! And I hope you like it!! but no hype :)

      Delete
  5. Agreed about Level 2. I was just sort of "meh" about that one.

    My TTT post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you agree, I felt like I was the only one!

      Delete
  6. Good list!

    I've got Level 2 in my TBR pile, but will now keep my expectations low for when reading it!

    I might have to pick up a copy of Slated - the author's got a tea and cake event at a bookshop in my BF's city on thurs but annoyingly I can't go. BAH!

    And I'm glad that I'm not the only one who doesn't like Amy from Across the Universe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my problems with Level 2 had a lot to do with the world-building. If that's not a trigger for you maybe you won't have the same response.

      And I seriously need to find out where authors are at and when. I am so out of the loop I feel like I am missing out!

      Delete
  7. I've heard such good things about Across the Universe and Level 2.... I guess they can't be for everyone, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so with you on Across the Universe and Madness underneath. Both were huge disappointments for me. I really need to get to Mind Games.

    My Teaser and Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  9. Agree with you about Across the Universe, I couldn't stand the main character...or any of the others.

    Rochelle @ Books Like Stars

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the commentary! I actually haven't read any of these books. :) Paranormalcy wasn't a favorite read of mine either and is primarily the reason I skipped out on Mind Games. Sounds like I didn't miss much. :)
    Thanks for stopping by!
    Bonnie @ Sweet Tidbits

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe thanks! I thought this was a hard list to make. But I do recommend some of the books that exceeded our expectations :)

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. I had high hopes for it. And I still thought I'd like it when other friends had problems with it. But nope, this one wasn't for me. But if your excited, why not give it a try! You may feel differently :)

      Delete
  12. Gah, I haven't read any of these! But Slated looks good, I love emotional reads. I don't need action as much as I need a connection with the book and its characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then definitely give Slated a shot! I really felt for Kyla!

      Delete
  13. Great list, I've read a bunch of them, have some same/some differing opinions but I certainly hope I don't end up feeling the same way you did about Across the Universe because I'm pretty excited to read it also.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Man, many of the books that left you disappointed are on my TBR list. Perhaps I really need to rethink where they stand and make sure my expectations are in check. You win some, you lose some I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with The Madness Underneath - I think the predictability ruined it for me. The rest of your list I haven't read much of. Code Name Verity surprised me as well with how good it was. The rest of the books have been on my TBR list though. :)

    Thanks for stopping by my TTT.

    Brandy @ A Little of the Book Life

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been hearing quite a few people say Dualed was disappointing. That's good to know because I'll push it further down my list now. Same goes for Level 2. I'm glad you liked Slated and Mind Games though. I'm really wanting to read them both!

    Thanks for stopping by my TTT!

    Jessica@Lovin' Los Libros

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have some of these on my TBR list, and others I've been wondering about -- like Dualed. I think I'll leave that one; I've got more than enough to read without it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ugh, Dualed. STAB STAB STAB that book was so stupid. I keep seeing Slated praised everywhere, I may need to check it out, haha. Across the Universe can go die in a fire. and Level 2... still planning on reading it but... I haven't heard good things. :(

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think I just saw Level 2 at the bookstore the other day-- the one where the character is kind of dead/ in limbo? It seemed moderately interesting but not enough to pursue it. I guess my instincts were in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A couple of these are on my TBR list so it's interesting to hear your thoughts on them. Especially 'Code Name Verity'... hmm... I'll have to read it now!

    - Annette

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2014 The Quiet Concert
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs