REVIEW #104: The Elite (The Selection #2) by Kiera Cass

Title: The Elite
Series: The Selection #2
Author: Kiera Cass
Publisher: Harper Teen
Release Date: April 23rd 2013
Pages: Hardcover, 323 pages
Source: Bought

Summary from Goodreads:
Thirty-five girls came to the palace to compete in the Selection. All but six have been sent home. And only one will get to marry Prince Maxon and be crowned princess of Illea.

America still isn’t sure where her heart lies. When she’s with Maxon, she’s swept up in their new and breathless romance, and can’t dream of being with anyone else. But whenever she sees Aspen standing guard around the palace, and is overcome with memories of the life they planned to share. With the group narrowed down to the Elite, the other girls are even more determined to win Maxon over—and time is running out for America to decide.

Just when America is sure she’s made her choice, a devastating loss makes her question everything again. And while she’s struggling to imagine her future, the violent rebels that are determined to overthrow the monarchy are growing stronger and their plans could destroy her chance at any kind of happy ending.


“My arm on his back drew him toward me, and he did the same, until we were closer to each other physically than we’d ever been. In the back of my mind, I realized we were in a crowded room, that somewhere my mother was probably fainting at the sight, but I didn’t care. For that moment, it felt like we were the only two people in the world.”

I was so excited the first half of the book, I thought the story was going to develop in a whole different way. Cass does not hold back in The Elite, there are unexpected turns and circumstances that I just was not ready for. While I am not a huge fan of the love triangle (Team Maxon all the way) I was able to side with America more in this book than in the first. The emotions America feels regarding Maxon and his other relationships are completely justified. She has some right to get jealous when she sees Maxon being overly affectionate with other girls.   But on the other hand, I do find America quite whiny sometimes. Just give Maxon the benefit of the doubt, he loves you, get with it.  There are many cute and romantic lines from Maxon that I made me root for him even more.  


“And yet…If you don’t want that burden, I could never blame you. I would welcome you home with open arms. I love you. Dad”


The Elite incorporates more of the future life a Queen/Princess is to expect.  America really has to consider what her life would be like and what kind of ruler she could become.  I enjoyed how this book incorporated more of the royal life and duties.  I thought the way America struggled with it was believable.  My favorite secondary character has to be America's father.  It is so refreshing and heart warming to read about a father who supports his daughter no matter what. 

“How was it that Dad always knew what to say? I kind of wanted someone to rearrange the stars so they spelled out his words. I needed them big and bright, and somewhere I could see them when things felt dark. I love you. And I’m so, so proud.”


Overall, The Elite was a fast and fun read.  The Elite takes the bachelor aspects from the first story and adds even more background about the caste systems and more developments in current political issues.  Although I really enjoyed the story as a whole, the book suffers a but from middle book syndrome.  Not a whole lot was really accomplished in this book, we were right where we started plus/minus a few things. 

America and Maxon's roller coaster of a relationship keeps you wanting more.  I cannot wait to see how the story ends and who will be the one.  


divider

6 comments:

  1. I'm really excited for The One! I agree with you about the plot in The Elite being great. Awesome review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost picked this up from Chapters today, but they only had it in paperback and I want a hardback to match my copy of The Selection! I'm excited to see more of the caste system/political backdrop, though it's a bit of a bummer to hear that this suffers from MBS slightly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, the MBS is not bad. I did not notice until I finished and thought about it. I was like hmmm, what really happened in this story.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you mentioned that there's more background to the caste system, because that was what was lacking for me in The Selection. Even though this has a bit of a middle book syndrom, I think I might have to pick it up anyway. (I wasn't blown away by The Selection but it was kind of addicting. Like reality TV!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great guilty pleasure, the story flies by! I would recommend picking it up :)

      Delete
  4. I admit, I have had an ARC of this book, but I haven't read it yet! YAY Maxon! I really hope America sticks with Maxon. I didn't really like the first book, but I thought it was worth it to get the second one. Clearly, I still need to read this one! Great review!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2014 The Quiet Concert
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs