REVIEW: Endless Knight (The Arcana Chronicles #2) by Kresley Cole

Title: Endless Knight
Series: The Arcana Chronicles #2
Author: Kresley Cole
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Release Date: October 1, 2013
Pages: 320, Hardcover
Source: Library

Summary from Goodreads:
Shocking Secrets
Evie has fully come into her powers as the Tarot Empress, and Jack was there to see it all. She now knows that the teens who've been reincarnated as the Tarot are in the throes of an epic battle. It's kill or be killed, and the future of mankind hangs in the balance.

Unexpected Allies
With threats lurking around every corner, Evie is forced to trust her newfound alliance. Together they must fight not only other Arcana, but also Bagmen zombies, post-apocalyptic storms, and cannibals.

Gut-Wrenching Treachery
When Evie meets Death, things get even more complicated. Though falling for Jack, she's drawn to the dangerous Endless Knight as well. Somehow the Empress and Death share a history, one that Evie can't remember—but Death can't forget.



  • I like love the idea behind this book. 22 teens are the reincarnated versions of the Major Arcana of a Tarot deck and are meant to fight to the death in a post-apocalyptic world for the prize of immortality.  Can you say AWESOME?!?!

    There are so many parts of this story that completely fascinate me. Evie as she discovers her own powers and how to control them. Death’s simultaneous lust and hate for Evie and him taunting her. The new Arcana and the powers they have. Past versions of the game that Evie sees through dreams. The bonds. The betrayals. The seduction.

    Not to forget, all this arcana stuff is happening in the wake of an apocalypse. As a result, other Arcana are not the only threat. There are bagmen (like zombies), cannibals, and corrupt militia men to also be afraid of. There is just so much going on in this story.

  • DEATH. Gimme, gimme more. Gimme more. Gimme, gimme more (sing-songed liked the Britney Spears song). Yeah he's pretty boss and I'm a fan. And we get to spend a good chunk of time with him in this book. Something happens at the very end that is not so cool but it does sort of fit with his persona and I am crossing my fingers that Kresley Cole will somehow correct it at the beginning of the third book. Regardless, I find him sexy.

  • The subtle humor in this book is just great. The witty comments caught me off guard every time. And there are a few amusing moments between Evie and Death. Like how she tries to seduce him with a wet T-shirt kind of act. I found myself laughing on several occasions.

  • Evie. She's pretty badass and likable despite being hung up on a loser.


  • Jack. He was very off-putting to me from the start so I was never really a fan of him. I may have warmed to him a little by the end of the first book but whatever progress we made was quickly reversed in book two. Not only was he a jerk, he became possessive and irrational too. He's a problem and I want him to go away. (But sadly I know he won't because I think I am in the minority here with my ant-Jack feelings).

  • I didn't like how romance focused this book was. The romance greatly overshadowed the rest of the story. The first half wasn't so bad, even though it was a Jack-fest, but the pace of the second half slowed significantly. And even though it was Death's turn, I felt myself growing restless.



Although I feel that this book was too-romanced focused and a little less exciting than book one, it still had it's own appeal and I found it to be enjoyable. Death is a welcome addition to the story and I am really excited to see what happens next.

divider
Copyright © 2014 The Quiet Concert
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs