A Curious Tale of the In-Between by Lauren DeStefano

Title: A Curious Tale of the In-Between
Author: Lauren DeStefano
Series: Pram #1
Publisher: Bloomsbury Children's USA
Release Date: September 1, 2015
Source: BEA

Summary from Goodreads:
Pram Bellamy is special—she can talk to ghosts. She doesn’t have too many friends amongst the living, but that’s all right. She has her books, she has her aunts, and she has her best friend, the ghostly Felix.

Then Pram meets Clarence, a boy from school who has also lost a parent and is looking for answers. Together they arrive at the door of the mysterious Lady Savant, who promises to help. But this spiritualist knows the true nature of Pram’s power, and what she has planned is more terrifying than any ghost.

Lauren DeStefano is beloved by critics and readers alike, and her middle grade debut is lyrical, evocative and not to be missed.


Review

I don't read a lot of Middle Grade but occasionally I make an exception if a book piques my interest enough, and A Curious Tale of the In-Between did just that. I was hearing a lot of buzz for this book, and after having really enjoyed some of DeStefano's YA books, I wanted to give it a shot. And I am happy that I did!

A Curious Tale is a quick, sometimes creepy, always heart-warming book about a girl named Pram who has the ability to see ghosts. In fact, her best friend Felix is one and Pram spends most of her days playing with him much to her Aunts' chagrin. In an effort to introduce Pram to some real friends, they send her off to school where she meets Clarence, an equally charming boy that I also just adored. Pram eventually tells Clarence about Felix and the dynamic between these three characters was absolutely delightful but a little complicated because Felix pines for Pram and doesn't really want to share her.

During Clarence's search for his mother's ghost, Pram and her gift are discovered by another spiritualist named Lady Savant who soon after kidnaps Pram to use for her own personal gain. Around this point in the story is when things became especially creep-tastic. I won't give any hints lest I spoil things, I'll just say that DeStefano had me effectively spooked. Lady Savant made a good villain and did some truly horrible, fear-inducing things. But fortunately, Pram had some awesome people on her side who went above and beyond to help her out.

A Curious Tale read easily and simply, but I don't mean that negatively. The story was uncomplicated but that allowed me to enjoy Pram's adventures without distraction. And I did enjoy Pram's adventures and can't wait for more. So if you are in the mood for a cute but chilling ghost story with some truly endearing characters, I'd definitely recommend this one! I'm smitten!

divider
Copyright © 2014 The Quiet Concert
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs