MINI-REVIEW #111: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Title: The Book Thief
Author: Markus Zusak
Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers
Release Date: March 14, 2006
Pages: 550, Hardcover
Source: Audiobook

It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery. . . .

Set during World War II in Germany, Markus Zusak’s groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.

This is an unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul.

 

I am not going to say much about this book, because I don't think much needs to be said. I think The Book Thief has made quite a name for itself already and with due cause. This book is  special, which is evident from the very first page. 

Two things really stood out to me while reading The Book Thief - the narration and the writing. The story is narrated by Death, but it's not just Death's perspective alone that is so great, it's how Death tells the story that is truly beautiful. The words that are used, the way they are strung together. The story is not told in a linear manner, but rather jumps around a bit. Everything about the delivery of this story is transcendent and I don't think this book would have quite the impact it has had without these two elements going for it. 

The story itself is so many things it's hard to describe. It is so much more than it's broken down pieces that I can describe for you here. It is not just about Nazi Germany, or a girl who discovered the power of words. It is profound. It is multifaceted. It is inspiring. It is condemning. It is love. It is hate. It is humanity

I highly recommend this book and I hope it leaves a mark on your heart as it did mine. 

divider

13 comments:

  1. I read The Book Thief a few years ago. It was the complete opposite to the kind of thing I usually read but a friend recommended it so I figured I'd give it a go. I certainly wasn't disappointed. Like it did with you, the story stayed with me for so long after I'd finished it. A remarkable read.

    Suzy Turner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't read books this serious that often but when I do they always leave their mark. So I know it's not everyone's typical read but I can't imagine anyone being disappointed if they give it a shot.

      Delete
  2. There is no way to describe my love for this book. I always get a warm feeling when I re-read this book. It's just so beautiful.

     Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That it is! This is one of those books that is just difficult to describe. You have to experience it for yourself! I can't believe it took me so long to read it!

      Delete
  3. I have this one on my shelves and yet I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I know that it'll be a heavier read and I'll have to be in the right mood for it, but I can't wait for when the moment is right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely wait for when the moment is right. It is a heavy book but so worth it in the end!

      Delete
  4. I still have to read this. I feel like the last person in the world to so, well the book blogging world anyway. I have to make room for it, I know I will love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not the last! and everyone everywhere has some book that they should read. I do hope you get to it soon though and do love it (I imagine you will ;))

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad you loved this one! Markus Zusak is one of my all-time favorite authors, and I LOVE his prose. I'd also definitely recommend his other novel, I Am the Messenger—his writing is even more gorgeous in that one, and the story, for me, was better. But I think it would be hard for the author to go wrong, to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion! I will definitely check out his other work. I can see how talented he is just by reading The Book Thief. Is that book just as heavy/serious?

      Delete
  6. I loved that Death was the narrator, I think it made me love this book more than humanly possible. This is such an amazing book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT? Such an interesting twist. :D It is details like that that always stand out to me too!

      Delete
  7. I was very moved when I finally got around to reading this book! I didn't know what I went into it expecting, but I finished it feeling satisfied and utterly destroyed (in a good way). The way this story is told is magnificent! And there are so many moments and lines that I just wanted to remember forever. So glad you enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2014 The Quiet Concert
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs