REVIEW: Fractured (Slated #2) by Teri Terry

Title: Fractured
Series: Slated #2
Author: Teri Terry
Publisher: Nancy Paulsen Books
Release Date: September 26, 2013
Pages: 336
Source: Purchased

Perfect for fans of the dystopian settings of The Hunger Games and Divergent, the gripping second installment of the Slated trilogy is a riveting psychological thriller set in a future where violent teens have their memory erased as an alternative to jail.

Kyla has been Slated—her personality wiped blank, her memories lost to her forever. Or so she thought. She shouldn’t be able to remember anything. But increasingly she can—and she’s discovering that there are a lot of dark secrets locked away in her memories. When a mysterious man from her past comes back into her life and wants her help, she thinks she’s on her way to finding the truth. But this new knowledge lands her in the middle of a tug-of-war between two dangerous adversaries, and despite her misgivings about both of them, she’s forced to choose a side for her own protection.



  • I continue to like the premise of this story - rather than face a harsher punishment, difficult teens can be "Slated" aka have their memories erased and be inserted into a new home for a chance at a second life. But for some reason, Slating didn't work as it should have on Kyla and she is slowly recovering her memories and discovering the person she was before slating; who happened to play a pivotal role in the rebel movement opposing the corrupt and oppressive Lorder enforcers.

  • This second book is largely focused on Kyla and her past before Slating. I enjoyed the journey of self discovery that she went on as her memories were revealed to her. Her past is somewhat surprising to her and she can't help but question who she was and who she wants to be. She is torn between her past and present desires.

  • The ending of this book was fantastic. There were a ton of revelations, quite a few twists, and lots of action - a serious pick up in pace from the rest of the book and I couldn't read fast enough. The third book is looking really promising.

  • What really made Slated stand out for me was the emotion that I felt while reading. Kyla's fear, confusion, and uncertainty was palpable and I was highly involved in the outcome of the story. But I didn't feel the emotion in this novel to the same degree, at least not until the end. The stakes were just as high, if not higher, but I didn't feel the threat or the severity of the situation like I did in the first book.

  • Although I liked the journey of self discovery that Kyla went on, I would have preferred less indecision on her part - at least with regards to her back and forth over what cause she supported and what she believed in - it got a little repetitive.

  • I didn't like how Kyla had no strength of will against Nico or Dr. Lysander. I would say that with every interaction she had with either of these characters there was some mention of her inability to disagree, lie, or withhold information. It just didn't agree with every other situation in which she is extremely capable and smart. It was a small thing and I think it was just a tool to provide information but it was obvious and abundant.

I enjoyed Fractured and I think it had a great ending, but the rest of the book was not as strong as I had hoped it would be. I didn't have the same emotional connection as I did with Slated and some of the writing bothered me. But I will be reading Shattered for sure. I love the premise and the third installment holds a lot of promise.

divider
Copyright © 2014 The Quiet Concert
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs