Mini Reviews: Ruined by Amy Tintera, The Chapel Wars by Lindsey Leavitt, and Maid of Wonder by Jennifer McGowan

Title: Ruined
Author: Amy Tintera
Series: Ruined #1
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: May 3, 2016


Review

I had a lot of fun reading this book! I love plots that involve infiltrating enemy territory and Em was a total badass despite her perceived weakness among her people for having no power. I love how Tintera proved that there are more ways to be useful and powerful besides what is expected. I was also a total sucker for the romance. It might not have been THAT moving and sure, it was a trope that I had seen before but it just worked for me. I liked Em, I liked Cas, and I liked Em and Cas together. I also loved the ending to this book. Like LOVED. The last third was non-stop action and holy hell, Em’s sister is a force to be reckoned with. I can’t wait to see what mayhem she causes in the next book.


Title: The Chapel Wars
Author: Lindsey Leavitt
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Childrens
Release Date: May 6, 2014


Review

The Chapel Wars wasn’t quite the book I hoped it would be but since I had been meaning to read this book for over 2 years now my expectations probably got the best of me. I expected MORE from it – more laughs, more playfulness, more war, more romance – so what I got fell a teeny bit flat. Sure, it had it’s cute moments and I think it was interesting. I also think Leavitt handled some important topics well – like divorce and first love and all the fun growing up that comes with those teen years. But it didn’t leave that strong of an impression on me. And while I appreciated the honesty of the ending, it kind of let me down at the same time. Points for uniqueness though! The Vegas Wedding Chapel premise was a great idea!


Title: Maid of Wonder
Author: Jennifer McGowan
Series: Maids of Honor #3
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Release Date: August 25, 2015


Review

Unfortunately for Maid of Wonder, it is the 3rd book in a series and the previous two books are, what I consider, some of the best YA Historical Fiction has to offer. So while Maid of Wonder had its merits, it paled in comparison, impression-wise. I enjoyed learning more about Sophia and her Seer abilities. And I enjoyed being back in this world and diving even deeper into the bigger picture. But unlike the previous two books, the mystery wasn’t quite as captivating, the romance wasn’t quite as shippable, and the overall emotional response I had to the writing wasn’t quite as strong. Also, Sophia herself just wasn’t as dynamic of a character as Meg or Beatrice. So this is why I didn't love it, only liked it. But I do still hope that S&S publishes the final book about Jane or I am going to be PISSED.
divider
Copyright © 2014 The Quiet Concert
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs