REVIEW #76: Dualed (Dualed #1) by Elsie Chapman

Title: Dualed
Series: Dualed #1
Author: Elsie Chapman
Publisher: Random House Books for Young Readers
Release Date: February 26, 2013
Pages: 304, Hardcover

You or your Alt? Only one will survive.

The city of Kersh is a safe haven, but the price of safety is high. Everyone has a genetic Alternate—a twin raised by another family—and citizens must prove their worth by eliminating their Alts before their twentieth birthday. Survival means advanced schooling, a good job, marriage—life.

Fifteen-year-old West Grayer has trained as a fighter, preparing for the day when her assignment arrives and she will have one month to hunt down and kill her Alt. But then a tragic misstep shakes West’s confidence. Stricken with grief and guilt, she’s no longer certain that she’s the best version of herself, the version worthy of a future. If she is to have any chance of winning, she must stop running not only from her Alt, but also from love . . . though both have the power to destroy her.

 
 
Usually, I can overlook a good deal of the flaws in a book if there is a lot action that keeps me entertained but that was not the case with Dualed. I really wanted to like this book but I just couldn't get into it. It wasn't just the many flaws in the logic of the book that kept me from enjoying it, but I also couldn't connect with West at all. I didn't understand her thought process or behaviors.

I usually take the explanations for dystopian worlds with a grain of salt because, truth be told, many contain flaws. In general, I approach dystopian books ready to just accept the way things are so that I can enjoy the rest of the story. I approached Dualed the same way but the gaps in information left me struggling to understand, believe, or feel this world. It wasn't just information pertaining to how and why the world is as it is that was missing but but also many of the details lacked reason or explanation. There were many moments in the book that made you stop and think...wait, what? And my feelings of detachment only intensified in West's POV.

West was not a strong character to me (none of the characters were but especially not West). She had the personality of a rock and as I already mentioned, I didn't understand her. After her brother's death she becomes motivated to be better prepared to face her Alt and decides to become a Striker, essentially going around and killing other people's Alts for money. But then she gets activated to kill her ownAlt and... get this... SHE RUNS. She can't bring herself to kill her alt so she goes on the run, meanwhile, still taking contract jobs TO KILL OTHER ALTS. Can someone please explain this to me!? Much didn't make sense in this book but this especially baffled me. Overall, she was just dull and confusing and I spent most of the book feeling this way.



I'm not saying all of Dualed is bad, the story just fell very flat for me and I couldn't muster up much enthusiasm for it.
divider

9 comments:

  1. Ugh, this book. Such a disappointment. Like you, West just annoyed me, but especially the fact that she couldn't kill her alt while she was killing others.... totally baffling. How does that make sense at all???

    You're not alone on this one :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that gap in logic is like a slap in the face. I don't know how it could have gotten overlooked. Such a shame.

      Delete
  2. HA HA, i love your review! I feel that way alot of the time, especially if a book gets super hyped up before i get a chance to read it. Sad to hear Dualed dissapointed you.. this was one that i felt was super hyped up. Anyways, great review, awesome GIF ! Im loving the new layout ladies! much brighter!!!

    - Katie @ Inkk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true it did get a lot of hype but I think even if I went in with no low expectations it still would have been a disappointment. I'm not even sure if a stronger lead would have been able to save it.

      And thanks! We are getting there :) :)

      Delete
  3. I picked up this book from the library a couple of weeks ago. I have yet to read it and I may not now. I have many other books that seem promising that I also got from the library and I still have a stack of ARCs I need to get through. Thanks for the heads up and your honest review. I don't understand either about killing the ALTs if she couldn't kill her own, I feel like that is really hypocritical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely skip this one Kay. There are so many other, better books to spend your time on!

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I took your advice and skipped it! :)

      Delete
  4. I've been wanting to read this one, but now I don't know?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had very similar feelings about Dualed - West's actions made absolutely no sense to me! Like you said, why would she become a Striker, only to run away from her Alt, and continue to take on Striker jobs?!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2014 The Quiet Concert
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs