REVIEW #68: Mind Games (Mind Games #1) by Kiersten White

Title: Mind Games
Series: Mind Games #1
Author: Kiersten White
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: February 19th 2013
Pages: Hardcover, 237 pages
Source: Library

Summary from Goodreads:
Fia was born with flawless instincts. Her first impulse, her gut feeling, is always exactly right. Her sister, Annie, is blind to the world around her—except when her mind is gripped by strange visions of the future.

Trapped in a school that uses girls with extraordinary powers as tools for corporate espionage, Annie and Fia are forced to choose over and over between using their abilities in twisted, unthinkable ways…or risking each other’s lives by refusing to obey.

In a stunning departure from her New York Times bestselling Paranormalcy trilogy, Kiersten White delivers a slick, edgy, heartstoppingly intense psychological thriller about two sisters determined to protect each other—no matter the cost.


So Mind Games is not the easiest book to summarize since the plot is far from linear. The chapters switch around between Fia and Annie’s perspective. The chapters also vary in time, so some chapters are in the present while others are a couple months ago or even two years ago. I actually really enjoyed the structure of the story but can see why others may not. It kept me on my toes and kept the suspense high while still building up some of the history.

I have perfect instincts. And my sister can see the future. And my boss's secretary can read minds. And my ex roommate can feel other people's emotions.

The basic storyline surrounds the lives of two sisters, Fia and Annie. Annie is blind but can see glimpses of the future and her sister Sofia has perfect instincts. These special talents landed the girls in a school for the gifted; the school is run by a power hungry man who abuses the talents of the various girls. Fia and Annie have to escape and leave the school but that proves to be hard task when others can read their mind.

So Paranormalcy was not my favorite read so I was a bit hesitant to read Mind Games but I am so glad I did! I really enjoyed it! As mentioned, I enjoyed the structure of the plot; it was full of action and suspense with slight hints of romance. There was no-insta love but instead a bit of a love triangle. I hope for a bit more on Fia’s relationships in the next book. The relationship and importance of family was a refreshing element of the story; the love between the sisters is so strong and believable.  White also blends a bit of science and DNA into the story to possibly explain the special powers.

Annie was not my favorite character; she sometimes seemed a little whiney and helpless. On the other hand Fia was an awesome main character; she was sarcastic, fierce, and pretty kick ass. She had some great lines too!

Instead, I think about everything in the whole entire world that makes me angry-there is a lot, oh there is a lot-and I start singing Justin Bieber at the top of my lungs.
I can do this

Overall, Mind Games was a fast pace suspense building, crazy ride of a book. It was easily a 4 star read and I eagerly await the next book!It is hard to pinpoint what exactly did not make it a 5 star read, there was nothing I really disliked, there was just not the INEEDTOBUYTHISRIGHTNOW moment. It is a quick fun read!

divider

6 comments:

  1. Mind Games was my first White book. A lot of people love Paranormalcy, and I really want to check those out. I didn't love Mind Games, though. I read it a while ago, and I haven't written a review yet, mostly because it's quickly fading from memory. I don't normally mind changing POV's, but in this case, I found myself getting confused - maybe because I wasn't really engaged. I do agree that Fia was awesome, and I'm glad that you enjoyed the book.

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can easily seeing getting confused, I was definitely focused when I was reading it.

      Delete
  2. It's always encouraging to read a positive review for a book that I've read wildly varying opinions about. This seems like one of those books that people love or...don't love. I really hope this falls in the love category for me. Fia sounds like such a fascinating character, as does her story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy, after reading it is quite clear that it is one of those love or hate books!

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you liked this one! I absolutely loved Fia - she was such a fascinating and disturbed protagonist, that I just HAD to know what had happened to her! I think the stream of consciousness narration really helped with the pacing as well, while Annie's chapters helped to keep things balanced. Like you, I'm excited to see how everything plays out with the sequel :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She definitely was a fascinating and disturbed character! I am glad you enjoyed the narration too, I can see why other may not though :)

      Delete

Copyright © 2014 The Quiet Concert
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs