REVIEW #85: Everbound (Everneath #2) by Brodi Ashton

Title: Everbound
Series: Everneath #2
Author: Brodi Ashton
Publisher: Balzer & Bray
Release Date: January 22, 2013
Pages: 358, Hardcover

Nikki Beckett could only watch as her boyfriend, Jack, sacrificed himself to save her, taking her place in the Tunnels of the Everneath for eternity — a debt that should’ve been hers. She’s living a borrowed life, and she doesn’t know what to do with the guilt. And every night Jack appears in her dreams, lost and confused and wasting away.

Desperate for answers, Nikki turns to Cole, the immortal bad boy who wants to make her his queen — and the one person least likely to help. But his heart has been touched by everything about Nikki, and he agrees to assist her in the only way he can: by taking her to the Everneath himself.

Nikki and Cole descend into the Everneath, only to discover that their journey will be more difficult than they’d anticipated — and more deadly. But Nikki vows to stop at nothing to save Jack — even if it means making an incredible sacrifice of her own.

 

Everbound far exceeded my expectations! I liked Everneath well enough but it didn't resonate with me like it did with many others. So I went into Everbound expecting the same outcome but let me tell you, it BLEW ME AWAY. No middle book syndrome here folks.

Nikki is desperate to save Jack from the Everneath. She can tell she is running out of time because he is fading from her dreams..fast. After a foolish jump to the Everneath alone, she realizes that she will need Cole's help if she wants any chance of finding Jack and making it back out alive. After much begging and pleading on Nikki's part, Cole agrees to accompany her and they set off through the Everneath in search of the tunnels and Jack.

I have to admit that I was expecting 300 pages of Nikki wallowing in her guilt and sorrow, so I cannot be more happy to tell you that all pity parties and emotional releases were well incorporated and complemented rather than overshadowed the plot. This book was all about adventure and danger and steadfast determination and love. I. ate. it. up. So so so well done!

Brodi Ashton's depiction of the Everneath was incredible. Man oh man, she did some serious work here! It was so imaginative and thoughtful and PERFECT for the story - really set the stage for this wonderful book. Most of the journey takes place in a maze consisting of three rings: Water, Wind, and Fire. The Ring of Water brings out your despair. The Ring of Wind plays tricks on the mind. And The Ring of Fire consumes you in doubt. There is also the treat of Wanderers - starving Everlivings or rather "zombies with brains". To find Jack, Nikki must summon a tether to him, which she creates through happy memories. This is where Ashton incorporates the flashbacks of Nikki and Jack and it was a significant improvement over Everneath.

HOLY SMOKES THAT ENDING GUYS!!! I am not often let completely baffled at the end of a book. I so did not see what was coming and it was literally and ending to beat all other endings. Talk about plot twists - I had to sit down for this one (figuratively, of course - I don't read standing up). And Cole - you BASTARD!

In summary, if you loved Everneath, you should definitely read this book (duh). But if you were like me and had some reservations, you should still read this book. Ashton totally hit it out of the park with this one and if this book is any indication of what is to come in Evertrue, fans are in for quite a treat. 

divider

4 comments:

  1. I love this series! I didn't think it was going to be better than Everneath, but you're right, it totally was. And yes that ending! I cannot believe it. I need the next book like NOW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. The wait for the third book already feels torturous.

      Delete
  2. Great review! I love this book! It was so cool to see what Everneath was like and the ending left us on such a big cliff hanger. I love Greek Mythology, so this series is one of my favorites. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely like how we saw more of the greek mythology at play in this book. And I never saw such a huge cliffhanger coming. There's not going back from that!

      Delete

Copyright © 2014 The Quiet Concert
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs