Poison Princess (The Arcana Chronicles, #1) by Kresley Cole

Title: Poison Princess (The Arcana Chronicles, #1)
Author: Kresley Cole
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Release Date: 10/2/12
Length: 369, Hardcover
Rating: 4 stars

Summary from Goodreads
She could save the world—or destroy it.

Sixteen year old Evangeline “Evie” Greene leads a charmed life, until she begins experiencing horrifying hallucinations. When an apocalyptic event decimates her Louisiana hometown, Evie realizes her hallucinations were actually visions of the future—and they’re still happening. Fighting for her life and desperate for answers, she must turn to her wrong-side-of-the-bayou classmate: Jack Deveaux.

But she can’t do either alone.

With his mile-long rap sheet, wicked grin, and bad attitude, Jack is like no boy Evie has ever known. Even though he once scorned her and everything she represented, he agrees to protect Evie on her quest. She knows she can’t totally depend on Jack. If he ever cast that wicked grin her way, could she possibly resist him?

Who can Evie trust?

As Jack and Evie race to find the source of her visions, they meet others who have gotten the same call. An ancient prophesy is being played out, and Evie is not the only one with special powers. A group of twenty-two teens has been chosen to reenact the ultimate battle between good and evil. But it’s not always clear who is on which side…


Poison Princess is a page-turner BRIMMING with adventure.

The intro to the book is both disturbing and entrancing. It is 246 days after "The Flash" which wiped out most of humanity. Water, food and women are now a precious resource.  The book starts in the POV of a middle-aged man named Arthur who lures a young girl into his home by the promise of a hot meal and temporary safety. Arthur is sure this girl will be one of his victims and relishes in the power he feels. As the drug sealing her fate takes effect, Arthur asks Evie to tell him her story of survival, and so she does…

Evie thinks she must be crazy. She has horrible hallucinations and nightmares that don't make sense. But Evie doesn’t want to get sent back to the inpatient facility she was at that summer so she tries to act like ever other junior girl at her shcool. Enter Jack Deveaux. That Cajun bad boy from the wrong side of town with a rap sheet and conquest list longer than…well you know. Evie and Jack clash instantly but it’s that whole I hate you, I want you, you infuriate me, see-saw back and forth mess. I found this a little frustrating because almost instantly Evie was ready to give up everything for a boy who treated her like a piece of meat. "'At that moment, I was dying for this Cajun boy to kiss me. I didn't care about my reputation, the friends I'd dissapoint, the popularity I'd lose, or the bragging rights he'd win." But at least there was no love triangle.

Then the Flash happens. Almost everyone dies. Bodies of water have dried up. Food is scarce.

Evie and her mother survive but Evie is running low on food, her mother is injured, her horse is dying and the outside world is in chaos. And now Evie is hearing voices. Enter, yet again, Jack Deveaux.

For reasons of his own, Jack agrees to take Evie across dangerous territory to NC to find her grandmother, who Evie thinks can help her understand what’s happening to her. This is where the real story begins, as Jack and Evie face "unspeakable danger" along the way. Let’s see who wants precious Evie dead…

1. The Bagmen (which are pretty much Zombies)
2. Crazy cannibals
3. Slavers
4. Horny Militia Men
5. Death (yes, Death himself)
6. That no good man-stealing bitch Selena

But if all that excitement doesn't keep one reading, let’s chronicle Evie and Jack’s unrelented sexual tension:

"'If you touch me like that again, Evangeline,' he began in a husky tone dropping to his seat once more, 'in the space of a heartbeat, I will have you off this bike and onto the closest horizontal surface. And I woan be picky, no.'

"'You like cherises, huh?' He eased closer to me. 'I've got an envie for a cherry.' A craving."
"I smiled sweetly, holding one up by the stem for him. 'Enjoy the only cherry you'll get from me.'"

But Jack wouldn't be Jack if he didn't put his foot in his mouth.
"'Did you save me just so I'd sleep with you?'""'The idea might've crossed my mind! Hell, Evie, you're probably the last girl on earth for me. Would it kill you to put out?'"
Smooth, real smooth.

Anyway, Jack and Evie find some comrades along the way and Evie starts to discover who she is. Her nightmares, hallucinations and voices are all tied into her Tarot identity and purpose. The fact that Evie is one of the Major Arcana and has certain expectations (without giving anything away) was a really cool idea and sets the stage for some pretty exciting sequels. And then fast-forward to the MOST KICK-ASS ENDING EVER. I don't want to spoil anything for you, but I promise you there will be some of this.













Overall, this was a pretty exciting book. The bad boy theme is strong at the beggining and may deter some readers but it does end with promise. I think many will like this book.
divider

1 comment:

  1. LOVED this book! Everything about this book was amazing! I need more Jackson in my life. And I couldn't get enough to the Cajun-French. Evil cliffhanger is evil. (But I forgive her, because Jackson.) That is one book I am going to be on pins and needles waiting for. I almost wish I hadn't read it so soon after it came out, because now I have that much longer to wait.

    Awesome review!

    Irene (Pay Dirt)

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2014 The Quiet Concert
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs