Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy #1) by Sarah Rees Brennan

Title: Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy #1)
Author: Sarah Rees Brennan
Publisher: Random House
Release Date: September 11, 2012
Pages: 370, Hardcover
Rating: 4.5 stars
Summary from Goodreads:


Kami Glass loves someone she’s never met . . . a boy she’s talked to in her head ever since she was born. She wasn’t silent about her imaginary friend during her childhood, and is thus a bit of an outsider in her sleepy English town of Sorry-in-the-Vale. Still, Kami hasn’t suffered too much from not fitting in. She has a best friend, runs the school newspaper, and is only occasionally caught talking to herself. Her life is in order, just the way she likes it, despite the voice in her head.

But all that changes when the Lynburns return.

The Lynburn family has owned the spectacular and sinister manor that overlooks Sorry-in-the-Vale for centuries. The mysterious twin sisters who abandoned their ancestral home a generation ago are back, along with their teenage sons, Jared and Ash, one of whom is eerily familiar to Kami. Kami is not one to shy away from the unknown—in fact, she’s determined to find answers for all the questions Sorry-in-the-Vale is suddenly posing. Who is responsible for the bloody deeds in the depths of the woods? What is her own mother hiding? And now that her imaginary friend has become a real boy, does she still love him? Does she hate him? Can she trust him?


First off, I love the cover of this book :) It fits the book so well both intriguing and a bit dark and spooky. Kami Glass is a very determined high school student on a mission to discover what secrets her small town of Sorry-in-the Vale is keeping hidden and what role does the Lynburn family play. She starts the high school newspaper with her best friend Angela to publish her findings. Kami never has outgrown her imaginary friend. Even now in high school she seeks his comfort, having conversations only Kami and her imaginary friend can hear. 

The Lynburn family returns to Sorry-in-the-Vale bringing drama with them. Ash’s good looks and confident nature allow him to easily fit into school and even more easily into the Newspaper. Jared, Ash’s mysterious bad-boy cousin, is rumored to have killed his father and in need for some serious reform. Even though others tell her to stay away from Jared, Kami can’t do it. Kami, Angela, Holly, and the Lynburn boys take on the adventure of figuring out what is going on in this small town, who is responsible for the animal killings, and what secrets are the people of Sorry-in-the-Vale keeping. 


I read this in a day; I was so engulfed in the story and amused by the witty comments from all the characters. It truly was a great read. Unspoken was a fairytale-meet dark, secretive England town-meet magical families. Each character was so vividly described with unique personalities. Kami is full of witty remarks and doesn’t really take no for an answer. 


Kami: “… it cannot be denied that Mrs. Lynburn was a ferociously private person. To the point of ferociously throwing her walker at certain innocently curious children.” 


Brennan had me laughing through the whole story yet still enjoying the mystery and suspense of the secrets that were being uncovered. The plot was fast past and full of action. Kami and Jared have such an interesting dynamic it is hard to call it love story with their back and forth feelings but you just keep reading and reading to see what happens to this “imaginary” friend. 


“I don’t want to be sane. I don’t want to be normal, said Jared. I just want you.” 




 I am like AHHH, <3 him.  Then the ending … AHHHHHHHHURGHHHH how are you going to leave me waiting like that?!?!

Overall: This was easily a 4.5 star read, I loved the imaginary friend aspect, the fresh and original plot, the witty banter, the magical town, and the dark/spooky but fun nature of the story. 
 

divider

2 comments:

  1. So, you said 'fairytale' and I was immediately excited. That is my favorite thing in the world to read about, so everything that comes close to it is an instant read for me. I also like books with witty comments that can make me laugh and a fast-paced action-filled book is always welcome. Great review! :)

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book is one of my all time favorites, no question. I went into it expecting to enjoy the story, but I had no idea that I would end up loving it as much as I do. I was fully engrossed by the second page, and I couldn't put it down. I read this one in one sitting. The world is fantastically written, and easy to visualize. But the characters in this one are what made it shine so much for me. Kami and Angela and Holly, Jared and Ash. And Kami's family were wonderful, especially her dad. I adored this story. I haven't read Unbound yet, but it is sitting on my shelf and I am so super excited to finally read it. I will have to look for your review of it, if you have read it yet!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2014 The Quiet Concert
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs