MINI-REVIEWS #138 & #139: Sloppy Firsts (Jessica Darling #1) & Second Helpings (Jessica Darling #2) by Megan McCafferty

\ Title: Sloppy Firsts
Series: Jessica Darling #1
Author: Megan McCafferty
Publisher: Broadway Books  
Release Date: August 28th, 2001
Pages: Paperback, 298 pages
Source: Library

Summary from Goodreads:
“My parents suck ass. Banning me from the phone and restricting my computer privileges are the most tyrannical parental gestures I can think of. Don’t they realize that Hope’s the only one who keeps me sane? . . . I don’t see how things could get any worse.”

When her best friend, Hope Weaver, moves away from Pineville, New Jersey, hyperobservant sixteen-year-old Jessica Darling is devastated. A fish out of water at school and a stranger at home, Jessica feels more lost than ever now that the only person with whom she could really communicate has gone. How is she supposed to deal with the boy- and shopping-crazy girls at school, her dad’s obsession with her track meets, her mother salivating over big sister Bethany’s lavish wedding, and her nonexistent love life?

A fresh, funny, utterly compelling fiction debut by first-time novelist Megan McCafferty, Sloppy Firsts is an insightful, true-to-life look at Jessica’s predicament as she embarks on another year of teenage torment--from the dark days of Hope’s departure through her months as a type-A personality turned insomniac to her completely mixed-up feelings about Marcus Flutie, the intelligent and mysterious “Dreg” who works his way into her heart. Like a John Hughes for the twenty-first century, Megan McCafferty taps into the inherent humor and drama of the teen experience. This poignant, hilarious novel is sure to appeal to readers who are still going through it, as well as those who are grateful that they don’t have to go back and grow up all over again.




"These conversations are like a shot of schnapps with Tabasco-sauce chaser. Short, sweet, and strange, as well as capable of making me hot, wobbly, and confused."

Sloppy Firsts is a laugh out loud kind of funny high school story that just had me wanting more.  Jessica Darling is a brutally honest journal writer that shares her experiences with the reader through those journals. The journals are full of new experiences, the awkwardness of relationships, and evolving friendships.

I absolutely devoured this book.  Everything felt so brutally honest and real; the story truly captured a drama filled high school.  I loved the format of the book, the journal entries were great and not a typical format I read often, so it was rather refreshing.  The humor was fantastic, Jessica is witty, sarcastic and quick thinking that I was laughing out loud throughout the whole thing.

I would definitely recommend this book if you are looking to start a fun, easy reading series.  The only reason I did not give it 5 stars was due to some occasional lengthy entries that dragged a bit.  

\ Title: Second Helpings
Series: Jessica Darling #2
Author: Megan McCafferty
Publisher: Broadway Books  
Release Date: April 22nd 2003
Pages: Paperback, 357 pages
Source: Library

Summary from Goodreads:
“Knowing that I’ve just done something that will take decades off my parents’ lives with worry, you’ll excuse me for not getting into the fa-la-la-la-la Yuletide spirit this year. . . . The only difference between Christmas 2001 and Christmas 2000 is that I don’t have a visit from Hope to look forward to. And Bethany has already packed on some major fetal flab. Oh, and now Gladdie doesn’t need to ask a bizillion questions about my boyfriend, because she’s already gotten the dirt from you know who.”

Jessica Darling is up in arms again in this much-anticipated, hilarious sequel to Sloppy Firsts. This time, the hyperobservant, angst-ridden teenager is going through the social and emotional ordeal of her senior year at Pineville High. Not only does the mysterious and oh-so-compelling Marcus Flutie continue to distract Jessica, but her best friend, Hope, still lives in another state, and she can’t seem to escape the clutches of the Clueless Crew, her annoying so-called friends. To top it off, Jessica’s parents won’t get off her butt about choosing a college, and her sister Bethany’s pregnancy is causing a big stir in the Darling household.

With keen intelligence, sardonic wit, and ingenious comedic timing, Megan McCafferty again re-creates the tumultuous world of today’s fast-moving and sophisticated teens. Fans of Sloppy Firsts will be reunited with their favorite characters and also introduced to the fresh new faces that have entered Jess’s life, including the hot creative writing teacher at her summer college prep program and her feisty, tell-it-like-it-is grandmother Gladdie. But most of all, readers will finally have the answers to all of their burgeoning questions, and then some: Will Jessica crack under the pressure of senioritis? Will her unresolved feelings for Marcus wreak havoc on her love life? Will Hope ever come back to Pineville? Fall in love with saucy, irreverent Jessica all over again in this wonderful sequel to a book that critics and readers alike hailed as the best high school novel in years.

The story picks up right where the first left off. Jessica is preparing for college and starting her last year of high school.  It was so easy after the first one to really connect with the characters but after finishing the second book, I felt a small investment in the lives of Jessica, her friends, and Marcus.  The character development is one of the series strengths.  As the characters develop so does the dynamic between Marcus and Jessica.  They face learning how to be together while also learning how to be okay with themselves. 

"Fortunately for us all, love does not work on an exclusive first-come first-served basis."


They do not have the most common relationship but it is easy to root for them to succeed.  Jessica continues to write in her journals and leave the readers with some quotes that are pure gems.  The quote below describes how Jessica was as a child and just truly sums up some of the humor and type of character Jessica is: 
"No, I'd pose in-depth questions to the chalkboard, the fern, or whatever inanimate object had a lot to say that day. Does it tickle when we write on you? Would you like to be iced-tead instead of watered? Thus despite my parents' best efforts, I still ended up being a freak"

The series continues to receive four stars; I love the humor, the character development and the realistic nature of the book.  Jessica continues to have long internal ramblings that I occasionally lose focus on when reading but besides that I have nothing but praise for the series.

divider

12 comments:

  1. Awesome reviews. I've been hearing good things about this series so thanks for convincing me further :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this series a long time ago, but from what I remember your review is spot on! I'm glad you are enjoying them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely adore this series. I've read both Sloppy Firsts and Second Helpings a dozen times. I have nothing but Megan McCafferty. Jessica and Marcus for-ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, I just finished the series... SO GOOD.

      Delete
  4. I adore this series! Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a copy of Sloppy Firsts and your review totally sold me on reading it ASAP! I'm so glad that I discovered this blog and with definitely continue following your reviews!

    Thanks again!

    ~Remedyleaf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely read it! I am excited to hear what you think!

      Delete
  6. I have yet to start this series, even though I'm fairly certain I'd enjoy it. It sounds like Jessica is such a quirky character -- and I love that she's a journal writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her journal writing is fantastic, she is so witty.

      Delete
  7. I just didn't feel an automatic love for Sloppy Firsts. Should I still continue with the series? Do they get better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, #2 is great, #3 is oky, #4 is better, #5 was FANTASTIC, worth finishing the series.

      Delete

Copyright © 2014 The Quiet Concert
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs