Top Ten Tuesday (27) - July 16th

                           

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week's Top Ten list is "Top Ten Authors Who Deserve More Recognition".

Nicole's Top 5

1. Neal Shusterman
So I've only read UnWind and UnWholly by Neal Shusterman but I can tell already that he has some serious writing talent. And his stories aren't just well written, they are also original and thought-provoking and extremely satisfying. And yet, not enough of my blogger friends have read his books, I rarely hear his name, nor do I see his books recommended often. Where's the love guys?

2. Kristin Cashore
So I know the Graceling Realm series has a strong following but I still don't think Kristin Cashore gets enough credit for these books. I rarely hear her name thrown out among popular YA authors but she is by far one of my favorites. I find her to be an extremely talented storyteller and I will read anything she writes.

3. Maria V. Snyder
So I think most people have read a book or two by Maria V. Snyder and yet she's another one who flies largely under the radar. I adored her Study series and she was also super sweet when I met her at BEA.

4. Holly Black
So I still need to read The Coldest Girl in Coldtown but I don't need to to know that Holly Black has got some mad skills. Her Curse Workers series was awesome (and hello, it was male POV - the key to my heart). Her writing is extremely versatile and consistently well rated and yet not enough people sing her praises.

5. Melina Marchetta
Hehe I know she gets a lot of recognition but I just freaking love her books and always think she deserves more ;). And I needed a #5.

Debut Authors to watch out for: Sarah Fine, Emily Murdoch, Trish Doller, Teri Terry, Cat Winters

Ashley's Top 5

1. Carrie Ryan
I was really surprised my her series, I had no idea what I was getting into when I started The Forest of Hands and Teeth but I just loved the story.  Her writing just pulled me right in.

2.  Gretchen McNeil
Granted I have only read Ten but I loved her writing style and she did a great job of keeping a horror/scary story unpredictable.  I can't wait to read 3:59!

3. Michelle Hodkin
While her series is quite popular in the blogging community, I think she should be more popular for her Mara Dyer series!

4. Suzanne Young
I cannot wait for the next book in The Program series.  The whole idea was unique and interesting; the creativity in the world building was so well done. I intend to pick up her other works as well.

5. Page Morgan
Even though she is a debut author this year, I am really looking forward to reading more of her books.  I am a sucker for new ideas, I find them refreshing so her take on gargoyles had me hooked.


What are your top ten?

divider

15 comments:

  1. I'm with you, Nicole! Shusterman and Cashore, yes, but FOR SURE Marchetta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree about Cat Winters. I've read a lot of debuts this year and hers is easily the best of the bunch, at least so far.

    My TTT post

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! I loved The Beautiful and the Cursed by Page Morgan and I love Maria V. Snyder too. I just finished the Study series, and I just bought Inside Out and Outside In. Great author! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicole - I've just started reading Snyder and I love her books!! Ashely- Please go back and read Possess by Gretchen. SOOOO GOOD!!! ~Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list you guys! I love Suzanne Young! I've only read the Program, but I can't wait to read more! I've been trying to read Graceling forever and just can't seem to find the time, but it's definitely a must read! So many others I need to get to also that have been sitting on my TBR!

    My TTT

    Jessica@Lovin' Los Libros

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great top ten! So many good writers! I totally agree with Hodkin, Cashore and Shusterman, love their books.

    My TTT:
    http://evelinesbooks.blogspot.nl/2013/07/top-ten-tuesday-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah Fine is on mine too! And Emily Murdoch should have been. I don't know why she didn't end up on my list, If You Find Me will haunt me for years!
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard lots of good things about Carrie Ryan and Holly Black. I should really read one of their books!
    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  9. I started making a TTT list, and although I didn't post it, I also had Suzanne Young way up there! I liked both The Program and her upcoming book with Cat Patrick, Just Like Fate. She writes fabulous romances!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You both have great lists!

    I can't wait to read Gretchen McNeil's new book.

    Oh and I can't wait to read Holly Black's The Coldest Girl in Coldtown as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As I was reading your lists, I just kept going YES and YES and YES! Really great choices :)

    My TTT: http://suchanovelidea.com/2013/07/16/top-ten-tuesday-7/

    Jess @ Such A Novel Idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Maria V Snyder! And I definitely agree with you about Melina Marchetta. I haven't heard of many others on this list, but I will be sure to check them out.
    Thanks for stopping by my Top Ten post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Snyder and Marchetta are on my list of really-want-to-read-them-someday-when-I-can-find-the-time. . . which seems to be in shorter supply now that I'm blogging about books. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't know most of these, and that makes me feel really bad. But I am planning on reading Graceling, hopefully this year. And Maria V Snyder and Neal Shusterman. Though they are pretty well known authors. Nice list!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Maria Snyder & Carrie Ryan for sure! I'm reading the Study series now and I love it - and The forest of hands and teeth is my favorite zombie book :) (and my first one, so it's special to me)

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2014 The Quiet Concert
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs