MINI-REVIEWS #142 & #143: The Truth About Forever and This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen

Title: The Truth About Forever
Author: Sarah Dessen
Publisher: Penguin Group
Release Date: May 11, 2004
Pages: 374, Paperback
Source: Audiobook, Library

A long, hot summer...

That's what Macy has to look forward to while her boyfriend, Jason, is away at Brain Camp. Days will be spent at a boring job in the library, evenings will be filled with vocabulary drills for the SATs, and spare time will be passed with her mother, the two of them sharing a silent grief at the traumatic loss of Macy's father.

But sometimes unexpected things can happen—things such as the catering job at Wish, with its fun-loving, chaotic crew. Or her sister's project of renovating the neglected beach house, awakening long-buried memories. Things such as meeting Wes, a boy with a past, a taste for Truth-telling, and an amazing artistic talent, the kind of boy who could turn any girl's world upside down. As Macy ventures out of her shell, she begins to wonder, Is it really better to be safe than sorry?


I can definitely see the appeal of Sarah Dessen books! She is a great contemporary writer and knows how to weave stories that involve more than just a cute romance. Her stories, as well as her characters, have incredible depth and they evolve in such a way that makes you feel good by the end. I am definitely a fan! 

The Truth About Forever was my first Sarah Dessen experience. And it was a fantastic one! I loved the book and I felt like it had a certain flare that makes it stand out in the contemporary genre. 

The game of Truth played between Macy and West is exactly what i'm talking about. It was adorable and a refreshing way for two people to connect. Dessen connected the game to the story beautifully and made it a steady element throughout. I really enjoyed this. And I loved their romance to pieces. The build-up was slow and the execution was sweet and believable. They were wonderful together.

And all the little details that surrounded Macy and Wes were wonderful additions to the story. The secondary characters were great, even the ones that I was less than charmed by. They each added a little something to the story. Even Jason and his peculiarities. And the catering job was a fun and amusing tidbit. 

Suffice it to say, I was completely bewitched by The Truth About Forever. So I immediately picked up This Lullaby. 


Title: This Lullaby
Author: Sarah Dessen
Publisher: Viking Juvenile
Release Date: May 27, 2002
Pages: 345, Hardcover
Source: Audiobook, Library

When it comes to relationships, Remy doesn't mess around. After all, she's learned all there is to know from her mother, who's currently working on husband number five. But there's something about Dexter that seems to defy all of Remy's rules. He certainly doesn't seem like Mr. Right. For some reason, however, Remy just can't seem to shake him. Could it be that Remy's starting to understand what those love songs are all about?





Well this book was certainly unconventional! And in stark contrast to The Truth About Forever. But I enjoyed the change of pace with this one.

Remy is not your typical YA protagonist. She doesn't believe in love or happy endings. She doesn't get attached. She's very logical when it comes to relationships. Actually, she's kind of a heartless b when it comes down to things. But all things considered, I don't blame her. It's hard to believe in something when you've seen it fail so many times. And I did like that she was a blunt, don't mess with me kind of girl. It was refreshing and a bit amusing watching her lay into Dexter. 

Gosh I just loved Dexter. Yes he was a mess but he was a hot mess. And hilarious. This is a guy who came rocketing through her a girl's bedroom window because she didn't say goodbye. Just something about him was so endearing. I loved watching him get under Remy's skin.

And the friendships in the story was great. Particularly the soda-throwing shenanighans. These girls had each others backs through thick and thin. It was a nice.

Again, this is not your typical romance story but it was a lot of fun. This Lullaby shows the depth of Sarah Dessen's talent. I can definitely understand all of the hype surrounding her work and I will gladly recommend her books to other contemporary fans.

divider

8 comments:

  1. I have read a hand full of Sarah Dessen books and I have always enjoyed them. They are definitely more complex than your typical young adult contemporary romance. I'm glad you enjoyed her books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised it too me so long to read her work since I read a good deal of contemporary. But I agree that they are more complex and definitely well written. I will definitely be reading more of her stuff!

      Delete
  2. I have yet to read Sarah Dessen, but I may just have to pick one up. I haven't read too many contemporary YA, I usually stick to dystopian and paranormal type books, but I have been reading a few lately and I have enjoyed them. Great reviews! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I don't think you can go wrong with Sarah Dessen when you're in the mood for contemporary. I can tell just by reading these two that she has some serious talent and originality.

      Delete
  3. I am definitely sure if you enjoyed these two books you are gonna love 'Along for the Ride' and 'What happened to Good bye' by Sarah. I Love all Sarah Dessen books and I have yet to read all her titles!

    - Gayatri @ Notorious Writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestions! Just added them to my TBR :)

      Delete
  4. I remember liking This Lullaby a lot! Glad you enjoyed it too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I have yet to read any of her books but I can't wait to change that!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2014 The Quiet Concert
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs