ARC REVIEW: All the Truth That's In Me by Julie Berry

Title: All the Truth That's In Me
Author: Julie Berry
Publisher: Viking Juvenille
Release Date: September 26, 2013
Pages: 288, Hardcover
Source: ARC obtained at BEA

Four years ago, Judith and her best friend disappeared from their small town of Roswell Station. Two years ago, only Judith returned, permanently mutilated, reviled and ignored by those who were once her friends and family. Unable to speak, Judith lives like a ghost in her own home, silently pouring out her thoughts to the boy who’s owned her heart as long as she can remember—even if he doesn’t know it—her childhood friend, Lucas. But when Roswell Station is attacked, long-buried secrets come to light, and Judith is forced to choose: continue to live in silence, or recover her voice, even if it means changing her world, and the lives around her, forever. This startlingly original novel will shock and disturb you; it will fill you with Judith’s passion and longing; and its mysteries will keep you feverishly turning the pages until the very last.

“My thoughts swirl and scatter like snowflakes on an errant wind. Will I help him make something of his life? Who will help me? Why does everyone presume that I, as damaged merchandise, forfeit any claim to happiness? That I expect nothing, have no ambitions or longings of my own? When was it agreed that my lot would be to gladly serve as a prop and a crutch for others who are whole?”
All The Truth That’s In Me is a sad book that is sure to pull on your heartstrings. There is so much emotion contained within these pages. My reading experience was swift, deep, and memorable.

This book is largely Judith’s internal dialogue as she observes the world around her. She cannot does not speak, most believe she is unable to. She is left to live on the fringes of society. Harassed.  Separate. Alone.  It was easy to be swept away by her story. She endures much. And she withstands it all. There is an ending to greatly look forward to. I was happy with Judith’s conclusion, although I wish it didn’t take so long for her to get there.

Julie Berry doesn’t give up the story of what happened to Judith easily. It’s all in due time. And it definitely kept me intrigued. But I wasn’t just curious about her past, I was genuinely invested in her future. The writing took some getting used to. I did struggle to understand how time worked at first – what were flashbacks and what were errant thoughts. But once I adjusted, it was easy to follow along and the book read very quickly (I think I read this in little over a day).

Judith is a strong character and the strength of this book relies on the strength of her words. There was this undeniable innocence about her. And she feels so much. I couldn’t help but feel all that emotion too. It’s impossible not to sympathize for her.  I wanted to protect her. I wanted to hug her and take care of her. I wanted to beat up everyone who was ever unkind to her. I wanted her to get everything she desired and more.

I was pleasantly surprised by this book.I think I overused the word emotional in this review, but that's what this book is.I'd definitely recommend it for readers looking for a unique, heartfelt, personal story.

divider

3 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to read this one so badly! It sounds so good and so heart wrenching! I'm due for one of those again! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard good things about this book but I'll definitely have to be in the mood for an emotional read. Great review! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been very curious about this book. Like you might now, I don't read much contemporary, but this one seems very touching. I sometimes love to read emotional stories and internal dialogues can be fascinating. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2014 The Quiet Concert
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs