REVIEW: One (One Universe #1) by LeighAnn Kopans

Title: One
Series: One Universe #1
Author: LeighAnn Kopans
Publisher: Self-published
Release Date: June 11th 2013
Pages: Paperback, 374 pages
Source: Bought

Summary from Goodreads:
When having two powers makes you a Super and having none makes you a Normal, having only one makes you a sad half-superpowered freak.

It makes you a One.

Sixteen-year-old Merrin Grey would love to be able to fly – too bad all she can do is hover.

If she could just land an internship at the Biotech Hub, she might finally figure out how to fix herself. She busts her butt in AP Chem and salivates over the Hub’s research on the manifestation of superpowers, all in hopes of boosting her chances.

Then she meets Elias VanDyne, another One, and all her carefully crafted plans fly out the window. Literally. When the two of them touch, their Ones combine to make them fly, and when they’re not soaring over the Nebraska cornfields, they’re busy falling for each other.

Merrin's mad chemistry skills land her a spot on the Hub's internship short list, but as she gets closer to the life she always wanted, she discovers that the Hub’s purpose is more sinister than it has always seemed. Now it’s up to her to decide if it's more important to fly solo, or to save everything - and everyone - she loves.


Never have I encountered such an emotional character.  I was about 1/4 of the way through the book and I started to notice how often the main character, Merrin cries.  ALL THE TIME.  I started to highlight how often she cries, I know I missed a couple in the beginning before I realized it was a trend but she cried at least 11 more times after I started counting.  
This made it very hard to enjoy the story.  I just found the main character to be a bit over the top with roller coaster emotions, one minute she is kissing her crush the next she is sprinting away in tears.  I just wanted to shake her and tell her to stop crying. The other characters were nothing special either.  
The development between the friendships and relationships was quite insta-love and insta-friendship.  Merrin was a bit hesitant actually noticing the instant friendships and relationship but that seem to be a quick fleeting thought.  It all felt quite forced which made the plot seem forced as well.  The supernatural aspects were mediocre; while the idea seemed to somewhat original it just lacked execution.

Overall, I could not give One more than 2 stars due to the over emotional main character, forced relationships, and average supernatural plot elements.  It felt like Alex Mack (the old TV show) gone wrong.  Unfortunately, I won't be picking up the next one unless I see some raving reviews. The super powers were not as awesome as I was hoping and crying teen drama is not for me.   Emma Stone portrays how I really left most of the book.


divider

5 comments:

  1. This book just hit my radar recently for some reason but you make me not really care all that much anymore. I feel like sometimes I'll read a book and want there to be a little more crying, but too much crying? Hard pass. It's too bad, though. I like superhero books! >.<

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaahah, those gifs are awesome! I should start using more in my own reviews! Anyways, it's a bummer that the MC cried all the time. That can get annoying. I wrote one like that once and I couldn't stand here...

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG. Definitely staying away from this one. Good Lord. I hate crying cry-baby characters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the honest review, I don't think I'll be reading this one. If the MC is annoying, that makes it pretty much impossible to like the book. Love the gifs! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uggghhh a cry-baby character? No thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2014 The Quiet Concert
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs