MINI-REVIEW #63: Eve and Adam by Michael Grant & Katherine Applegate


Title: Eve and Adam
Author: Michael Grant & Katherine Applegate
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Release Date: October 2nd 2012
Pages: Hardcover, 291 pages

Summary from Goodreads:
And then there was a car crash, a horrible injury, and a hospital. But before Evening Spiker’s head clears a strange boy named Solo is rushing her to her mother’s research facility. There, under the best care available, Eve is left alone to heal.

Just when Eve thinks she will die—not from her injuries, but from boredom—her mother gives her a special project: Create the perfect boy.

Using an amazingly detailed simulation, Eve starts building a boy from the ground up. Eve is creating Adam. And he will be just perfect... won’t he?

   

Summary: Girl gets into car accident. Girl meets boy. Girl heals super quickly. Guy and girl form a bond. Guy and girl run away from evil genetic corporation. Guy and Girl Fall in love and uncover the truth. The end  :)

Thoughts:  I was really intrigued by the idea of genetics and creating the "perfect" guy but this story with so much potential let me down.  The story started off rather quickly and fast pace but eventually fizzled out.  The ending did explain and summarize certain aspects about Eve and Solo's past but left other parts of the story completely untouched. The ending was alright until Eve started to get whiny and Solo started to doubt his feelings for Eve; the story just dragged on at that point. I felt like the characters lack personality; Eve just seemed naive. The secondary characters were even worse, Eve's best friend is the queen of bad decisions and Adam is like a perfect male robot.  I would have enjoyed more development and focus on Adam once he was created; ultimately the plot was one dimensional and just fell flat. I did enjoy the alternating POVs, so I have to give it credit for that.

Audio-book Review: The narration alternates between Eve, Adam, and Solo. The narration was like a roller coaster, I disliked the beginning and found Eve’s voice whiny but by the middle of the story I was used to it, then the last hour of the narration felt fake. It does not help that I didn't like Eve as a character. The narration for Solo was significantly better but not enough for me to recommend the audio version of this book.

Overall Eve and Adam was a 2.5 star story, while it was a fast read with a fresh and unique premise the characters lack substance and the plot had too many holes in it.

divider

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, all your points are points I've seen in other reviews. So disappointing, because this book sounds awesome. It has a great promise and it seem to fit my interests perfectly. I hate it when things like this happen. At least the dual POV worked out for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite excited too, I thought the whole idea was going to be pretty cool.

      Delete
  2. Bummer, I hate when a book doesn't explain everything. I'm not sure if I'm going to give this one a go or not...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do, I will be really interested to see what you think :)

      Delete
  3. I can forgive a lot of things, but when a book leaves too much unexplained, that's not something I'm willing to overlook lightly. Sounds like this one will be a pass for me; thanks for the honest review :)

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2014 The Quiet Concert
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs