Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles #2) by Marissa Meyer

Title: Scarlet
Series: Lunar Chronicles #2
Author: Marissa Meyer
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Release Date: February 5th 2013

Summary from Goodreads:
Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.


Scarlet Benoit’s grandmother went missing and Scarlet wants the woman who raised her, back home. Scarlet is furious when she is notified that the search for her grandmother has been stopped, but luckily Scarlet meets Wolf. AHH Wolf. Wolf is an intense, lone, tough fighter who seems to know some things about where her grandmother could be. Wolf and Scarlet leave for Paris to find out why her grandmother was kidnapped and to bring her home.

Meanwhile, we were last left with Cinder in jail in New Beijing. With Dr. Erland’s help she is able to use her new lunar gifts and new cyborg parts to escape. Cinder ends up escaping with Captain Thorn; the two commandeer his stolen ship and leave for Paris. Cinder believes if she can find Michelle Benoit then she can learn more about her lunar past and get answers to all her questions. This is all happening while Prince Kai is left facing the consequences of Cinder’s escape and Queen Levana’s wrath.

At first I was not super excited when I heard that Scarlet introduced another two main characters. OHH MAN… I LOVED Scarlet and Wolf almost more than Cinder and Prince Kai. Scarlet draws you in immediately. The plot is multi-dimensional and intertwined beautifully blending and tying in the pieces of Cinder’s story with Scarlet’s story. The plot is paced perfectly blending build up and suspense with character development and romance. Each character is so unique and well developed it is easy to connect with them and become invested in what is going to happen.

As for characters, I LOVE Wolf. While he is the stereotypical tough guy with feelings, it never feels cliché. I like the big bad wolf and little red riding hood underlying story behind the relationship between Scarlet and Wolf. Similar to Cinder, the fairy tale re-telling adds a fun element to the story, picking up the similarities between the classic stories. The only thing I wish was for more in the department of Prince Kai and Cinder’s rocky “relationship.” I want some more resolve in their relationship!!


Audio Book Review: 5 Stars! Absolutely amazing. I loved the audio book! The voices were perfectly done and the pacing was spot on. The audio just drew you into the story and you could listen to it unfold. Not once did I find the voice annoying/whiney or even dull like many audio books. I actually finished the book on my kindle but enjoyed the audio so much I still listened to the rest of the book on audio as well. 

Overall, Scarlet was easily a 5 star read. This sequel lived up to all the hype and was a solid second book. Scarlet had the perfect blend of the various storylines mixed with fairytales and a dystopian/post apocalyptic world. I cannot wait to read the next two in the series.

divider

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you liked this! I've had it on my kindle since it came out and it's jus waiting for me to have time. I loved Cinder, so I'm glad the sequel lives up to the first. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhhh, yeah! I'm very happy you loved it as much as I did :D This book blew me away. I still can't believe how wonderful it is *fangirls* Scarlet and Wolf are great new characters - and I also really liked Thorne.

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit that I didn't read your review. I'm actually reading Cinder right now and I'm super excited to see that you gave Scarlet 5 stars! I keep hearing how great these books are and after the first chapter of Cinder and I can tell why!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2014 The Quiet Concert
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs