The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Title: The Fault in Our Stars
Author: John Green
Publisher: Dutton Books
Release Date: January 10, 2012
Pages: 313, Hardcover

Summary from Goodreads:
Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 13, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now.

Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault.

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.


This book consumes you from the moment you pick it up. John Green is a genius and has truly created something special.. I have never struggled so much to write a review before. I cannot seem to find the words to do this book justice and show just how much I loved this book. 

I don't think I have ever been this fond of so many characters in a single book before. Hands down, Hazel and Augustus are among my favorite duo EVER. Hazel's strong voice and unique outlook on life is evident from page one and will instantly draw you in. Augustus is just as strong of a character and complements Hazel's personality and eccentricities perfectly. The dynamic between the two is magical and will warm every part of you. It is profoundly sweet, sad, beautiful, delicate, giving. But what I loved most was the sense of humor they shared. The humor is so close to my own that I found it all the more enjoyable. And the word usage in this book was beyond amusing.

The secondary characters were just as strong! Isaac was the best sidekick ever and provided his fair share of snarky comments. And I felt that the presence of Hazel's parents really added an extra layer of emotion. I felt for them. With them. Their desperation, hope, love, protectiveness gave a different vantage point and balanced the other perspectives and feelings in the story. As for Peter Van Houten... well he was just infuriating but played his part.

Gah the writing... it is beyond words! I literally got swept away listening to Hazel tell her story. I couldn't put it down. This story is heartbreaking, beautiful, enlightening. I can't gush enough. I don't know how John Green is able to make you feel such a range of emotions. No emotion is left unfelt. One page I may be laughing, the next holding back tears, and the next I might be compelled to throw my book across the room at the unfairness of it all. It was incredible.

Just a quick side note - although this book is about cancer kids, it was not a particularly heavy read. John Green balances the serious stuff with a lot of lighter themes and elements. He gets his point across nevertheless.

The audiobook is really the way to go if you haven't yet read this book. The narrator is amazing and really brings this story to life.

So here is my proposition. If you haven't read this book yet, and have not yet been convinced by everyone whose raved about it that you should, pick it up next time you are in a bookstore (or wherever you may have access to it) and give it just ten minutes of your time. That's all it takes for this book to pull you in.

It was amazing.

divider

8 comments:

  1. Awww, I love this review :) Don't worry, you really did the book justice. You really captured the essence of why this book is so perfect. I feel like I want to read it again now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay thanks Debby! I really appreciate that :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely reviewed, very convincing! Its on my trb list and I'm afraid of how sad it will be but I know how much everyone loves it so it will be read soonish.

    BookishTrish @ Between the Lines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely sad but not overwhelmingly so if that makes sense? John Green has a lot of love and joy balance the sadness.

      Delete
  4. You review was spot on. Its so hard to put this book into words. You convinced me to read it and i couldn't put it down. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm so happy that you loved it! :) :)

      Delete
  5. Sounds like it was good, overall! Glad that the characters were easy to relate to and visualize.

    Nice review :)

    regards,
    grace of Pocket Knives

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, ok.... I am one of those people who, regardless of all of the raving, gushing and fantastic reviews that I have read, has still not read this story. I see it in the library every time I go, and I walk right past it. It isn't that I don't want to read it, it is that I am scared to read it honestly. Cancer is a close hitter for me, and I am scared of the feelings it will bring to the surface. But I will do as you say. The next time I am in the library, I will sit down right there and read this book for 10 minutes, and make my decision. Then I will let you know what the end result is!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2014 The Quiet Concert
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs