Burn for Burn (Burn for Burn #1) by Jenny Han

Title: Burn for Burn
Series: Burn for Burn #1
Author: Jenny Han
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Release Date: September 18, 2012
Pages: 368, Hardcover

Summary from Goodreads:
BIG GIRLS DON'T CRY...
THEY GET EVEN.

Lillia has never had any problems dealing with boys who like her. Not until this summer, when one went too far. No way will she let the same thing happen to her little sister.

Kat is tired of the rumours, the insults, the cruel jokes. It all goes back to one person– her ex-best friend– and she's ready to make her pay.

Four years ago, Mary left Jar Island because of a boy. But she's not the same girl anymore. And she's ready to prove it to him.

Three very different girls who want the same thing: sweet, sweet revenge. And they won't stop until they each had a taste.

Everything about this book was FUN. There is nothing more enjoyable than seeing those who deserve it get what's coming to them. Lillia, Kat and Mary feel like they have been seriously wronged in one way or another by someone in their high school and it has brought them together... to exact revenge.

I liked all 3 of these girls but Cat is my favorite. Cat is the product of years of high school slander.  She has such a raw, no-nonsense, middle-finger-to-the-world attitude. She was honest and fierce and quite entertaining. Lillia is your typical good girl - avoid confrontation & stay out of trouble - but she wasn't afraid to get her hands dirty when pissed off. She definitely had some spunk hiding under all that cashmere. Mary is the quiet and mysterious one - still haunted by her memories of that one boy whose cruelness changed her forever. She's silent but deadly, walking the halls of Jar Island High unnoticed.

These girls could not have been more different, which was great. They were unlikely allies and their personalities balanced each other. Their acts of revenge were amusing and suitable for high school. And as the story progressed, Jenny Han provides insight into each girls history with their target to explain the events leading up to this moment.

But of course, things never go according to plan.

I was sad and a little bit angry to find out that one of the targets didn't really deserve what he got. I won't say more to avoid spoilers but you should probably have your facts straight before you mess with someone's life.

Ultimately, this book was a total guilty pleasure... like Gossip Girl (the early seasons). I had a lot of fun listening to the story, I just couldn't rate it any higher because it doesn't have a ton of substance or superior qualities, if you know what I mean. But it was by all means an enjoyable read and I will definitely be reading Fire with Fire to see what happens next. There was a huge cliffhanger.

I will conclude with a gif by one of my favorites :)


divider

7 comments:

  1. Haha, I love that movie <3 Easy A. This book is definitely not my thing, but I'm happy you liked it! The idea that it's payback time is great though :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an interesting book. I may have to give it a try. I never mind a good revenge read. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes it was a fun, light read to squeeze in between the more serious stuff :)

      Delete
  3. I like it when people get what they deserve; this book sounds like my cup of tea. And the fact that the girls are so different makes it even more exciting. I'm kind of piqued about what brings them together for revenge, though. I guess I'll have to read it and see.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't say what brings them together is the most convincing tale but it was ok. I have Lillia in mind when I say this - you'll see what I mean if you decide to read it. But again, I thought this was fun and I want to know what happens next so I will be reading Fire with Fire for sure!

      Delete
  4. I hear mixed reviews about this book. I almost bought it the other day, but decided against it. Good review, though

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2014 The Quiet Concert
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs