A Little Something Different by Sandy Hall

Title: A Little Something Different
Author: Sandy Hall
Publisher: Swoon Reads
Release Date: August 26, 2014

Summary from Goodreads:
The creative writing teacher, the delivery guy, the local Starbucks baristas, his best friend, her roommate, and the squirrel in the park all have one thing in common—they believe that Gabe and Lea should get together. Lea and Gabe are in the same creative writing class. They get the same pop culture references, order the same Chinese food, and hang out in the same places. Unfortunately, Lea is reserved, Gabe has issues, and despite their initial mutual crush, it looks like they are never going to work things out. But somehow even when nothing is going on, something is happening between them, and everyone can see it. Their creative writing teacher pushes them together. The baristas at Starbucks watch their relationship like a TV show. Their bus driver tells his wife about them. The waitress at the diner automatically seats them together. Even the squirrel who lives on the college green believes in their relationship.

Surely Gabe and Lea will figure out that they are meant to be together....


Review

I found A Little Something Different to be all kinds of adorable, just like the masses promised. I found Gabe and Lea’s inability to form a relationship, when they so obviously liked each other, to be somewhat endearing, albeit a little exasperating. I loved how invested everyone was in them getting together even if I don’t believe there are that many people who actually behave like that; like match-makers all up in other people’s business. And I ended up loving the way it was written – using everyone’s perspective but Gabe and Lea’s. When I heard it was written this way, I wasn’t sure how I would take to it and I was skeptical over its execution, but I was pleasantly surprised by the result. Although, I could have probably done without the perspectives of the bench and squirrel, which were a little odd.

Since this book has many prominent secondary (or are they primary?) characters, I feel as if they are worth mentioning. As a whole, they were a pretty diversified bunch. I enjoyed the array of personalities displayed and found most of them to be pretty interesting and just as likable as Gabe and Lea. I liked the little glimpses into their lives and the bit of growth some of them had in the end. Inga was definitely my favorite and left me wishing that I had a teacher as cool as that.

Overall, this was a quick and wonderful read that has definitely left an impression on me. It made me smile, it made me laugh, it made me reminisce over all those awkward girl-boy encounters that everyone goes through (that I still go through), and it made me hope. I loved it.

divider
Copyright © 2014 The Quiet Concert
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs