ARC REVIEW #162: All Our Yesterdays (Cassandra Chronicles #1) by Cristin Terrill

Title: All Our Yesterdays
Author: Cristin Terrill
Series: Cassandra Chronicles #1
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Release Date: September 3rd 2013
Pages: Hardcover, 368 pages
Source: ARC obtained at BEA

Summary from Goodreads:
"You have to kill him." Imprisoned in the heart of a secret military base, Em has nothing except the voice of the boy in the cell next door and the list of instructions she finds taped inside the drain.

Only Em can complete the final instruction. She’s tried everything to prevent the creation of a time machine that will tear the world apart. She holds the proof: a list she has never seen before, written in her own hand. Each failed attempt in the past has led her to the same terrible present—imprisoned and tortured by a sadistic man called the doctor while war rages outside.

Marina has loved her best friend James since the day he moved next door when they were children. A gorgeous, introverted science prodigy from one of America’s most famous families, James finally seems to be seeing Marina in a new way, too. But on one disastrous night, James’s life crumbles apart, and with it, Marina’s hopes for their future. Now someone is trying to kill him. Marina will protect James, no matter what. Even if it means opening her eyes to a truth so terrible that she may not survive it. At least not as the girl she once was.

All Our Yesterdays is a wrenching, brilliantly plotted story of fierce love, unthinkable sacrifice, and the infinite implications of our every choice.




All Our Yesterdays was a whirlwind of a book. The story was here, there, everywhere. It was so full of action, surprise, confusion, and science it was hard not to just read the entire book in one sitting.

The story is told from both Em’s and Miranda’s point-of-view (I *heart* Dual POV so I was quite excited to find that out). Em is trying to save humanity with help from Finn meanwhile Miranda is trying to tell her best friend she is in love with him. Each girl is on a different journey, each journey getting more complicated as the story progresses.  I am trying to keep this as spoiler free as possible so, sorry about the vagueness. 

Every detail in the book was perfect which made this complex story that much better.  There were times when I had to re-read parts, it is not a story that I would call an easy read.  All Our Yesterdays has tiny details that can be easily missed if you are not paying attention.  Those little bits show how much time and thought were put into making this book fantastic and so well done.

The romance and friendship was strong giving the characters the courage they needed.  I thought the internal struggle Em has between her old friend and the doctor was realistic, bringing to life the character's emotions.  I highly recommend this book. All Our Yesterdays was a crazy, fun and intense read with a great ending.  I look forward to Terrill's next book.

divider

7 comments:

  1. I gave All Our Yesterdays 4.5 too! I think it was an exhilarating read and definitely hard to review without spoilers. The characters were great, especially Em and Finn!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to read this one soon! It sounds so good! I'm usually not that much of a time travel fan, but this one sounds awesome! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love time travel books, and I thought this one was really well done. I loved the dual POV too. I absolutely adored Finn and when we find out at the end what he told Em...so sweet! One of my favorite books this year. ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book has been getting such high ratings and raving reviews, I just can't ignore it anymore. I really hope to buy a copy soon :) Great review!

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really, really adored this book! (Like E, I would probably go the route of !!!) The way that the time travel was done, the characters (Finn!) and the story were all great. Even though it was definitely complicated to stay on top of things, in the end, the book was just plain awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely loved this one. The romance is unbelievable and the time travel mind-blowing. I'm so glad you liked it too :) Thanks for a thoughtful review, Ashley!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2014 The Quiet Concert
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs