The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy #1) by Sherry Thomas

Title: The Burning Sky
Series: The Elemental Trilogy #1
Author: Sherry Thomas
Publisher: Balzer & Bray
Release Date: September 17, 2013
Pages: 464, Hardcover
Source: ARC obtained from BEA

It all began with a ruined elixir and an accidental bolt of lightning…

Iolanthe Seabourne is the greatest elemental mage of her generation—or so she's being told. The one prophesied for years to be the savior of The Realm. It is her duty and destiny to face and defeat the Bane, the greatest mage tyrant the world has ever known. A suicide task for anyone let alone a sixteen-year-old girl with no training, facing a prophecy that foretells a fiery clash to the death.

Prince Titus of Elberon has sworn to protect Iolanthe at all costs but he's also a powerful mage committed to obliterating the Bane to revenge the death of his family—even if he must sacrifice both Iolanthe and himself to achieve his goal.

But Titus makes the terrifying mistake of falling in love with the girl who should have been only a means to an end. Now, with the servants of the Bane closing in, he must choose between his mission and her life.


Review

The Burning Sky is SO GOOD that you cannot help but spontaneously shout out declarations of love for it. You will be SO WILD with emotion that you will lose control of your ability to think and act rationally. SO CONSUMED by this book you will be that all sense of time and responsibility will be like a whisper on the wind.  The Burning Sky is literally un-put-down-able and unforgettable. (I am getting pretty good at these dramatic intros)

Iolanthe Seaborne rivals the fiercest of characters – think Celaena Sardothien. While not yet as deadly, her strength of will, defiance, bravery, loyalty, ability to hold her own, and sheer adaptability, places her among the finest. Yet she is extremely relatable in her doubt, frustration, fear, stubbornness, and tendency for self-preservation. She is sure to win your heart, as she has easily won mine. I felt her triumphs, her struggles and her slights. Not to mention, it was extremely enjoyable watching her play the part of a boy. A role she conquered with tenacity and whit that speaks volumes to her personality and charm. Hands down she is a new favorite.
"'My Latin is fine. It's my Greek that's as ghastly as your lovemaking,' she retorted. The boys howled, including Titus, who laughed out of sheer shock-and relief. She was good. Brilliant, in fact."
Titus’ character was the perfect complement to Iolanthe’s. On the outside he was all hard edges, arrogance and reckless abandon. He was focused and ruthless, careful and controlled. But underneath it all he was just a boy that was given too much responsibility at too young an age. He was resolute in his love for his kingdom and his people. His actions were driven by an unwavering moral obligation to do what was right even at the greatest cost to himself. He was intelligent, devoted and dangerous.

I loved the progression of their relationship – from half-hearted rivals, to fragile companions, to loyal friends with the possibility of more. The journey they took together was a fantastic one full of ups and downs, action and suspense, mystery and intrigue. They ran, hid, chased, practiced, played, planned, and fought together. They made a wonderful pair.

This story was seriously OVERFLOWING with adventure. From the first chapter this book takes off and doesn’t slow down for a second. Awesome characters and fabulous setting aside, this plot was engaging. Seriously powerful people are after Iolanthe. Titus is protecting her but he has his own agenda and his own dangers.  Iolanthe hides in plain sight AS A BOY. And there is magic. I mean there is just so much to love about this story I could write a similarly lengthy novel just talking about it. Love love love.

THIS WORLD! HOLY SMOKES I LOVED IT! The attention to detail paid by Sherry Thomas is noteworthy. Her imagination is without bounds. This place was full of endless possibilities and promise. It was magical and exciting but dangerous and unpredictable. To give you a little taste of what to expect (without spoiling anything) there is a book that you can enter that contains a world of its own where you can train and learn about magic. There are different places that are modeled after fairy tales where you can go and battle dragons and other magical beasts. It was like being in a video game, but cooler. This was fantasy at it's prime.

Like I said, I can go on and on. Just count the number of times I said 'love' in this review for a good estimate of my LOVE for it. (hint: the answer is 8 - not counting the last one)


divider

12 comments:

  1. A book which starts strong and keeps going at this pace is a real adrenaline-rush inducer. I love fast-paced, entertaining novels. Ionalthe sounds like an amazing character - who doesn't like strong, witty female characters?

    Mada Sch @ Confiture de rĂªves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THIS BOOK WAS JUST THE BEST EVER! Never a dull moment AND SO MUCH TO LOVE! :D

      Delete
  2. Omg I love this book!! Everything you said is so true. Te adventure. The progression of the relationship. The banter. I was laughing out loud! My review goes up soon and I pretty much Fangirl just like you do :) Great minds!! Also, Titus was totally my Hot Man of the Month for Book Bangin. LOVE him! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will keep an eye out for your review! I want everyone to read this book so maybe we can win them all over! And I need to participate in book bangin! Love the idea I just feel like I've been so behind lately! WHERE DOES THE TIME GO!

      Delete
  3. Wow, after reading your review, I'm definitely reading this book. Sounds like it has it all: great characters, plot, world-building and no insta-love (and no love triangle?) Great review! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES PAM PLEASE DO! You will love it and then we can add you to the fangirl club and we can all just rave over it together.

      Delete
  4. I can't wait to read this one! I have it for review as well and after reading this glowing review I'm getting so much more excited for this. I just read a flop of a book and need something to look forward to! This was a great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THIS IS THE BOOK! I feel bad for the book your read AFTER this. Like one of my favorites for 2013 HANDS DOWN. Maybe even one of my favorite Fantasy books EVER. Like up there with Crown of Midnight. THAT GOOD.

      Delete
  5. I wasn't sure about reading this before but with your high marks I'm going to have to read it! Oh and I love your dramatic intro. It had me hooked. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahah I am not alone in my love for this book but remember that I am a total sucker for fantasy. I think you'll enjoy this one more than Falling Kingdoms tho!

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed this one, even though I struggled a little bit at the start of the book. It's got such a great story in it, and Iolanthe and Titus were admirable characters. I'm curious to see what'll happen to them next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ME TOO! I cannot wait. I just love love loved it.

      Delete

Copyright © 2014 The Quiet Concert
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs