ARC REVIEW #161: The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle #2) by Maggie Stiefvater

Title: The Dream Thieves
Series: The Raven Cycle #2
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Release Date: September 17, 2013
Pages: 448, Hardcover
Source: ARC obtained at BEA

Now that the ley lines around Cabeswater have been woken, nothing for Ronan, Gansey, Blue, and Adam will be the same. Ronan, for one, is falling more and more deeply into his dreams, and his dreams are intruding more and more into waking life. Meanwhile, some very sinister people are looking for some of the same pieces of the Cabeswater puzzle that Gansey is after...





Maggie Stiefvater’s books have secured a place in my heart as well as on my shelf for all of my reader days. She has proven herself to be both extremely talented and wonderfully unique in her storytelling. And I am completely won over by everything she writes.

The Dream Thieves is a fantastic continuation of the story introduced in The Raven Boys. Gansey, Ronan, Adam, Noah and Blue are still stirring up trouble in Henrietta in their search for Glendower but this is no longer the main focus of the story. Ronan dropped quite the bomb at the end of TRB and therefore the attention has shifted to him and his story.

Ronan is such an intriguing character that I was thrilled to learn that this book would be largely from his perspective. And I feel like readers benefit a lot from this. TDT explores a whole new side of Henrietta such that the world, the characters and the story really develop in this second book. Stiefvater definitely took more risks this time around, but I feel like they paid off in the end.

Typical of Stiefvater’s style, this book is carefully constructed, intricately detailed and elegantly presented. It is not a ‘fast-read’ but a literary work of art to be appreciated. The characters she gives us are wonderful. I really feel for all of them in some way and I am deeply invested in each of their stories. The setting is magical and rich and really projects a fitting atmosphere for the story to unfold. And the story itself, if anything else, is pleasantly original. You have not read anything else like it, I promise you.

As much as I loved this book, it did not WOW me as much as TRB did. I think this was because it contained fewer surprises. And the ending did not pack the same punch as TRB. However, I do not want to do a disservice to this book because it was still wonderful and far superior to the average YA read. I really loved it.

I am very curious to see where Stiefvater will take the third book. The ending to TDT is open ended enough that really anything is possible. But I have no doubt that it will be as enjoyable as the first two.
divider

10 comments:

  1. Ooh, I'm really looking forward to The Dream Thieves now after reading your review! I'm quite excited to hear from Ronan after his reveal at the end of The Raven Boys.
    I'm going to have to re-read The Raven Boys though before I read the second one. But it does sound like it's really good, so I'll be getting myself a copy when it comes out.
    Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These books are really amazing. I reread The Raven Boys too so that I didn't miss any details. That's not a bad idea but a lot in this book stands on its own (or is new so to speak).

      Delete
  2. This is definitely on my list to read as soon as it comes out, and I'll have to re-read The Raven Boys as well. I really enjoy Maggie Stiefvater's writing style, and good to know that the book revolves around Ronan. Great review! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ME TOO! Her writing is amazing. There really isn't anything else like it. I reread The Raven Boys but you don't have to to enjoy this one.

      Delete
  3. Since you said that this is better than the average YA read, I may try it out - I'd like to read an YA novel, but usually I find them quite simple and not that engaging, especially if they're romance-themed.

    Mada Sch @ Confiture de rêves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie Stiefvater is not your average YA author. But since you like standalones more than series i highly recommend The Scorpio Races! There is a bit of romance, but it doesn't have an immature vibe to it.

      Delete
  4. Yes! I was so glad we got to see things from Ronan's POV as well. It was definitely quite a different view of Henrietta and even the other characters, that's for sure.
    Hmm. As far as wow factor goes, I kind of feel like for me they were both pretty amazing but in really different ways! I was trying to compare the two and they almost don't compare because they were just really different! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your right, they are very different and it is difficult to compare the too. It's not even fair really because they are in a category all of their own.

      Delete
  5. I love the way that Stiefvater creates an atmosphere in each of her books, and I'm eager to get back to Henrietta and visit the Raven Boys + Blue again. Ronan was my favorite character in the first, so I'm definitely excited to learn more about him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll enjoy this one Alexa! Ronan is awesome in it!

      Delete

Copyright © 2014 The Quiet Concert
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs