Endless by Kate Brian

Title: Endless
Author: Kate Brian
Series: Shadowlands #3
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Release Date: July 22, 2014
Pages: 304
Source: Library

Summary from Goodreads:
An unthinkable betrayal threatens everyone Rory loves in the third installment of our dark, thrilling Shadowlands series from New York Times best-selling author Kate Brian.

Rory Miller didn't just fall in love with Tristan Parrish. She fell in love with the idea of forever. He was the one who told her the truth about her existence in Juniper Landing: that her mortal life is over, and she will now spend eternity on the island, helping others in limbo move on.

But like Juniper Landing, a bright island with dark secrets, Tristan is too good to be true. The mysterious, heartbreakingly beautiful boy Rory thought she knew is responsible for unthinkable evil-sending good souls to the Shadowlands in order to get himself a second chance at life on Earth. He has already claimed Rory's friend Aaron and her own father, but when SPOILER Tristan sends her sister, Darcy, to the Shadowlands, too, Rory decides to take matters into her own hands. She will do anything to save her family, even if it means going to hell and back.


Review

The Shadowlands series has completely taken me by surprise. Each and every book in this series has been nail-bitingly good and together they create one hell of a story. I don't think there was ever a dull moment.

In this final installment, all hell has officially broken loose on Juniper Island. The rules that typically govern the island no longer apply and it's anybody's guess what is going to happen next. Kate Brian took full advantage of this and gave us plenty of twists and non-stop action. It's still unclear who the bad guy is, how many are working together, and what his/her/their end game is. I was desperate to find out what was going on and I couldn't read fast enough. This book was just as suspenseful and spooky as the first two.

But there were two things which ultimately detracted from this conclusion. The first is that there was a completely pointless, ill-timed and poorly constructed love triangle that popped up out of nowhere. I am quite disappointed about it but not so disappointed that it changed the whole tone of the book for me. The second is that there were many questions that went unanswered. I knew this was coming as I was reading because there were just too many variables but I was still a little taken aback by the ending. I am still not sure how I feel about it as an ending, truthfully, and there are a few questions I would have like answered for peace of mind. But again, although this was a drawback, it didn't tip the scales too far because I really enjoyed the rest of the book. I can't say it will be the same for everyone.

I found the The Shadowlands series to be utterly unique. I loved the suspense. I loved the eery feel to the story. I loved that anything was possible. It kept me on the edge of my seat and I was thoroughly entertained the entire time. I definitely recommend this one despite whatever flaws it might have.

divider
Copyright © 2014 The Quiet Concert
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs