Say What You Will by Cammie McGovern

Title:Say What You Will
Author: Cammie McGovern
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date:June 3rd 2014
Pages: ebook, 352 pages
Source: Library

Summary from Goodreads:
John Green's The Fault in Our Stars meets Rainbow Rowell's Eleanor & Park in this beautifully written, incredibly honest, and emotionally poignant novel. Cammie McGovern's insightful young adult debut is a heartfelt and heartbreaking story about how we can all feel lost until we find someone who loves us because of our faults, not in spite of them.

Born with cerebral palsy, Amy can't walk without a walker, talk without a voice box, or even fully control her facial expressions. Plagued by obsessive-compulsive disorder, Matthew is consumed with repeated thoughts, neurotic rituals, and crippling fear. Both in desperate need of someone to help them reach out to the world, Amy and Matthew are more alike than either ever realized.

When Amy decides to hire student aides to help her in her senior year at Coral Hills High School, these two teens are thrust into each other's lives. As they begin to spend time with each other, what started as a blossoming friendship eventually grows into something neither expected.

Review

Say What You will was a completely impulsive read;  it was not really on my to-read list or even my radar for that matter.  I saw it in the library and remembered seeing one very good review for it and figure, why not! I am so glad I picked this one up.

The character development and conversations are the bright stars in this story; this is where I can see the comparison to Eleanor & Park.  Even though Amy cannot talk without a voice box, she is able to communicate so effectively.  Matthew is dealing with his own struggles when Amy just tornadoes into his life. Their relationship is harsh and honest yet beautiful at the same time.  The plot revolves around Amy and Matthew, starting from their first awkward interaction. The author addresses the struggles Amy faces, in all facets of her life, by having cerebral palsy.  Matthew is tasked with helping Amy but ends up truly admiring her and falling for her in his own unique way.

The story had some twists I was not expecting, I am not entirely sure how I felt about them to be honest.  I still really enjoyed the book but the twist did throw me.  I also seemed to struggle picturing both characters, I loved their strange dynamic and the individuality of each one yet for some reason I could not picture what they looked like when I imagined the story in my head.  It did not take away from the story it was just something I noted.

While the ending gave nice closure, I just wanted to keep reading and taking in the relationship between Amy and Matthew to see how their lives progressed.  Be prepared to be absorbed into the story and totally engrossed in the daily lives of these two fantastic characters.  

Bottom Line

Say What You Will took me by surprise, I was not really sure what to expect when I saw that it was The Fault in Our Stars meets Eleanor and Park.  It was a truly unique story that had me captivated through every page, with unexpected twists and fascinating dialogues. I definitely recommend Say What You Will if you are in the mood for a different kind of contemporary read!

divider
Copyright © 2014 The Quiet Concert
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs